PDA

View Full Version : CowFish?

celamb89
05/14/2010, 09:30 AM
Hello,

I just came across a thread about a cowfish and now I suddenly have the urge to have one! I once had one for some time but returned to the LFS since it wasnt doing very well in my strong currents...
Now that I have a larger tank 130gal DT, Im slowly adding new fish to it, it currently has 1 x ocellaris, 1 x Kole Tang, 1 x six LineWrasse and 1 x LTA, couple of SPS a frogspawn and some xenia.

Future fish:
Yellow tang, wil be added last to the tank.
ocellaris
diamond goby
watchman goby

I want to know if the cowfish will be compatible with these tankmates? will the tang or six line pick on it?
What are the tankmates that should be avoided for the cowfish?
Tips of care on the species?

My new tank is now divided with different currents, right side high flow and left side low flow, the middle has moderate flow, so I believe the cowfish will be fine with the currents.

tanks for the help!

celamb89
05/14/2010, 04:01 PM
Anyone?

Doesnt anybody like cowfishes?

kinlayan
05/14/2010, 04:25 PM
hi i have had a cowfish for many years check out my thread here.

I can tell you that some fish will pester a cowfish and one should not keep it with a cleaner wrasse as they annoy them no end but if you look at my thread most of my fish are fine with it, the only one who annoys my cowfish "elvis" a bit is the venustus angel who enjoys picking at his skin slime from time to time

They are rather prone to whitespot and dont tolerate medications to well but can take hypo if needed

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726744

They have awesome characters but are not coral friendly fish when mature

celamb89
05/14/2010, 06:51 PM
hi i have had a cowfish for many years check out my thread here.

I can tell you that some fish will pester a cowfish and one should not keep it with a cleaner wrasse as they annoy them no end but if you look at my thread most of my fish are fine with it, the only one who annoys my cowfish "elvis" a bit is the venustus angel who enjoys picking at his skin slime from time to time

They are rather prone to whitespot and dont tolerate medications to well but can take hypo if needed

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1726744

They have awesome characters but are not coral friendly fish when mature

Thanks for the post!

Your thread is amazing by the way, Im half way through it and cant stop reading!
Congrats on the tank!

And thinking on the cowfish if it wont be coral friendly down the road I minus well skip it. I dont want any problems