PDA

View Full Version : My yellow watchman goby is not so yellow

Westbery
05/14/2010, 06:54 PM
Just got him today. He was yellow. I acclimated him via the drip method for two hours. Is he about to die? He is looking grey-ish with dark bars on his back. :sad1:

juicesay
05/14/2010, 06:58 PM
Whoa!

What terrible news, he/she probably didn't acclimate correctly, or had a bad response to acclimate in your waters parameters.

What's your PH at? Did you test it before you dumped the fish in?

Did you also do a freshwater bath?

juicesay
05/14/2010, 06:59 PM
I also want to add, 2 hour drip method is way redundant.

I'm not a big fan of drip acclimation, but 2 hours is 1.5 hours more than you should do it for.

30 minutes would by my tops, 10-15 minumum.

The longer the fish is inside a container with newly introduced environments, the more they become stressed.

Westbery
05/14/2010, 07:03 PM
:( ph is 8.2. That is ok right? Yes I tested for everything but magnesium. I thought everything was fine.

Westbery
05/14/2010, 07:03 PM
No...I never hear of doing a freshwater bath. Should I have?

tahoe61
05/14/2010, 07:05 PM
Just give him more time to acclimate and hiding spots.

juicesay
05/14/2010, 07:07 PM
Freshwater bath for 2 minutes to 5 minutes does a quick kill of flukes, ich, tape
and some other nasties before you introduce it into your QT or display ( <--- shouldn't be the first tank )

Unless you really REALLY REALLY! Trust the source where you got your fish, I'd still do a freshwater dip.

It's like dipping your corals prior to introducing it into your display tank. Can never be too sure of unwanted pests.

otrlynn
05/14/2010, 07:25 PM
Freshwater dip does NOT kill ich, other than perhaps a bit clinging to the out side of the skin. You really need to know what you are doing with a freshwater dip, and it has to be pH adjusted as well. I would not subject the fish to this at this point. I don't know if there is anything wrong with doing a 2 hour drip acclimation other than sometimes it is difficult to keep the water up to temp. unless the room you are doing it in is warm. YWG can lose some of their color when stressed. If it is in your display, I'd leave it there with the lights off and check it in the morning.

Do not be concerned if it hides for several days, squirt some food in the direction of the area it is hiding and give it time.

ROB2005
05/14/2010, 07:31 PM
I guess being acclimated to a different level of water parameters, may have caused your YWG to change color though. However there are other reasons why: YWG (especially the female ones) are known to go from a bright yellow to a drab grayish color as they are either: maturing, changing its sex, or come across another YWG and they are jawing at each other.

Just continue to monitor him (QT will be helpful).

100%hydrophylic
05/14/2010, 07:40 PM
hes fine..... lol. mine did this too when i first got him and when i put him in the new tank. sometimes they do it at night as well. YWG are some pretty tough fish

hes stressed, nothing you can do about it except leave him alone.

R.Ram
05/14/2010, 07:55 PM
Agh! I just got a diamond goby, acclimated him for an hour and then did a freshwater dip for the usual 20-30 mins. I've done the dip many many times, but this fish didn't seem to handle it to well and when I put him in the QT he had like 2 seizures. He's fine now. I got scared.

kingfisher62
05/14/2010, 08:13 PM
I have to say, I have never did a freshwater dip with my livestock. Personally I think it is crazy to give a new fish more stress than it normally goes through during acclimation. I usually float the bag and add a little tank water every few minutes then net fish and discard water in bag.
Westbery, YWG's are pretty hardy I think he will be fine!

Westbery
05/14/2010, 08:20 PM
Looks like his (or her) color is coming back. Lights are off now. I am leaving her alone. And the lawn mower is doing just fine.

I gotta do more research about this freshwater stuff. Never heard of it...I dont get the point of acclimation if you are putting it in a bath of freshwater. Thanks for the the input though.

R.Ram
05/15/2010, 01:35 PM
=( my heater didn't do its job tonight! so sad...

thelittlereef
05/15/2010, 03:24 PM
=( my heater didn't do its job tonight! so sad...
?? What happen ??

R.Ram
05/15/2010, 03:58 PM
my brand new diamond goby died! I just went out and bought a new heater and a new goby though!