PDA

View Full Version : Need some help.. Transferring small tank to bigger tank.... Dirty Tank!!

reefvilla
05/15/2010, 06:02 PM
I'm helping a lady I know with her saltwater tank.
Long story short, Her Nitrates are in the 250'ish range, salinity is .018 and the tank has been running a year with an 11 watt Fluorescent light.
It is a 30gallon and we are going to switch it to a 58 gallon.

I originally was planning on using some of her water but its death soup so I really don't want to start with that. She has a few fish, some polyps and two Anemones (yes 2 and they've been in there since she bought the tank).

Whats the best way to go about this without killing everything?
I thought about putting the live rock in a container with the old water so there's no die off, pulling the sand out and rinsing it and mix all new water.
Basically start over.... Yes/No??
If I do that, how would I acclimate the fish and Anemones that have been used to filthy water?

What would you do?

greech
05/15/2010, 06:11 PM
If its been like that for an extended period you will probably see high nitrates continue in the new tank even if you go with 100% newly mixed water because the rocks will likely continue to leach nitrates.

I would buy all new sand, mix up all new water to match pH, temp & SG. I would also blow out rock really well with a pump/PH/turkey baster and transfer. Do this in the old tank water after you get all the other livestock out of the tank (or in a rubbermaid container, etc).

reefvilla
05/15/2010, 08:02 PM
If its been like that for an extended period you will probably see high nitrates continue in the new tank even if you go with 100% newly mixed water because the rocks will likely continue to leach nitrates.

I would buy all new sand, mix up all new water to match pH, temp & SG. I would also blow out rock really well with a pump/PH/turkey baster and transfer. Do this in the old tank water after you get all the other livestock out of the tank (or in a rubbermaid container, etc).

Do you think a normal acclimation of all the livestock is ok? Maybe 3 hours?

With the new tank she will be doing things differently. She was useing freshwater tactics on a saltwater because the LFS told her that was ok. Its a very small town and the guy at the LFS has one saltwater tank in basically the same condition.
I want to get the salinity up to .025, .026 so that is one reason I'm concerned about acclimation. Plus the fish have been breathing Nitrates for so long I don't know if clean water would be a huge shock and kill them?

reefvilla
05/16/2010, 08:31 AM
Any help is appreciated!? :fish1:

RotaryGeek
05/16/2010, 08:48 AM
A normal acclimation is really all you can do. 3 hours seems like plenty. Thats like saying you are in a room full of smokers and you have to take 3 hours to step outside to the fresh air.... It would probably do the fish more good to just be in fresh water.

LSBoogie
05/16/2010, 08:52 AM
3 hours seems good but I would think that the fish are still gonna get one heck of a shock going from bad conditions to good, its amazing what they can get use to.

reefvilla
05/16/2010, 09:03 AM
A normal acclimation is really all you can do. 3 hours seems like plenty. Thats like saying you are in a room full of smokers and you have to take 3 hours to step outside to the fresh air.... It would probably do the fish more good to just be in fresh water.

Well, Along time ago when I was a freshwater guy..... I had a really dirty tank and decided to pull the fish out, drain the water and fill with clean. After tossing the fish back in, the next morning they were all dead!!!
Not sure if it was from no acclimation or the clean water or both BUT now I am always a little extra cautious.

LSBoogie
05/16/2010, 09:08 AM
Well, Along time ago when I was a freshwater guy..... I had a really dirty tank and decided to pull the fish out, drain the water and fill with clean. After tossing the fish back in, the next morning they were all dead!!!
Not sure if it was from no acclimation or the clean water or both BUT now I am always a little extra cautious.

I had the exact same thing happen in a freshwater tank..just didn't want to admit it...:sad1:...that is why I said what I said. Its gonna be a necessary evil if you/she wants to re-do the tank.

Unless you don't mind taking a really long time and use all of her water mixed with the new water, still acclimate for 3 hours, then let it sit for a week, do a 25% ish change, wait a week..etc..until the params are good.

I'm no pro, but I think that would be the "safest" way for the existing inhabitants.

reefvilla
05/16/2010, 09:11 AM
Yeah, its gonna be a long job no matter how I do it.

Thanks for the help!