PDA

View Full Version : seaclear system II water level

weeftard
05/15/2010, 08:38 PM
ok so as the title says i have a seaclear system II 75 gallon tank. I cant for the life of me figure out how to bring the water level in the display up. As it sits right now the water is about an inch low. The previous owner had drilled holes in the bottom of the overflow grate. So it seems no matter how much water i add, the sump just gets higher and higher. The level was perfect for months untill maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago when i shut the pump off for a water change. Any insight??? maybe im over looking something incredibly easy! (I hope this is the case) thanks in advance!!

Amp2020
05/16/2010, 01:10 AM
Hard to picture what the problem is with out some pictures. Or at least a thorough description of the overflow box and drain style. It was fine before but not anymore, then there might be a problem with the pump. The pump's flow may have decreased due to a blockage and the water level is no longer staying high. With the lower water flow, the water level on most overflow boxes will stay closer to the bottom of the teeth rather than the top. Or maybe there was a trapped air bubble in the drain that caused the water level to stay high before but is no longer there after the startup. My thoughts are its either a pump flow problem or you had a drain problem before but not any more. If you have a stand pipe in the overflow. Try raising it higher or cut another piece of PVC to extend it higher. I would not suggest blocking any teeth on an overflow box to raise the water level.

Also check to make sure the stand and tank are still level and not leaning back towards the wall.

jim t
05/16/2010, 07:45 AM
I used to have a 50g system 2. You need to raise the gate on the intake to your filter. If you can look through the back you will see a plastic screw that
holds the gate in place.

TripleT
05/16/2010, 07:55 AM
The previous owner had drilled holes in the bottom of the overflow grate. So it seems no matter how much water i add, the sump just gets higher and higher.

Not sure where these holes are that you are referring to. So just to make sure you don't have an even bigger problem:

If you turn power off, how far down does your water level go in your tank?

And does your sump overflow when the power goes out?

And pictures might help as amp2020 mentioned.

TripleT
05/16/2010, 08:01 AM
Ohhh... it looks like this:

http://www.ourlittleblueplanet.com/aquarium_products/seaclear_line/seaclear_aquariums/system2_back.jpg

I'm guessing you need to plug up the holes the previous owner drilled, and then follow the manufacturer's instructions:

http://www.casco-group.com/system2-instructions-2002.pdf

weeftard
05/16/2010, 10:10 AM
the grate now is glued in place. It cant be moved up or down. I took apart the pump maybe 2 weeks ago thinking it probably had a massive cheato ball stuck in it, but it didnt, i cleaned every thing out and put it back together. Im going to take some pics right now, I'll have pics up soon. thanks again

weeftard
05/16/2010, 08:13 PM
so today right after i took some pics i reached in and pulled the hose off the pump for a second to see if there was something stuck in it. There wasnt but when i put it back on it blew a ton of junk out the return holes and the water level went back up. I think i have a cleaning job to do.

five O
05/16/2010, 10:00 PM
Your pump is not the issue most likely. The gate that you said is glued is your issue. The gate is designed to move up and down to change the water level in your display/sump. You need to figure out how to make the gate functional or everything else you do is a waste of time. I have a Sea Clear II, so I'm pretty familiar with their design. Good luck