PDA

View Full Version : Help with sump setup

velfamily
05/16/2010, 01:47 PM
I am not sure how to best setup the front section of my sump/refugium? My sump is made up of three sections I've included a drawing of the sump below and an actual picture. I have a skimmer that I would like to put in. In the first section there is nothing there but the water drains into that section from the tank. The next section is the largest and it houses all the live rock and plant life. The last section is were the return pump sits. Please help, I've looked at other sites and my sump isn't the same as what Melev has and I can't seem to find any other information.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3338/4612287395_5bec2b4656_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/4612205643_6a53bfab87_o.jpg

Sisterlimonpot
05/16/2010, 01:55 PM
If you can add the skimmer to the first section then go for it. if not you can always clear a spot in the second section. Are you having problems with micro bubbles in the display tank?

cham
05/16/2010, 01:55 PM
I would consider using filter socks

Without socks the second section will become a huge detritus trap.

velfamily
05/16/2010, 02:27 PM
If you can add the skimmer to the first section then go for it. if not you can always clear a spot in the second section. Are you having problems with micro bubbles in the display tank?

no microbubbles.

we have always had the skimmer in this section before, we just had a goby try to escape through the overflow box & land in this portion of the sump, which is what started the ---- "i wonder if there is a better way" thought

velfamily
05/16/2010, 02:39 PM
I would consider using filter socks

Without socks the second section will become a huge detritus trap.

I'm sorry, filter socks? Do you just mean something to cover the pvc pipe opening?

We previously had another "box" in there where the water would initially flow into, and through/over a charcoal sock & another with little white ceramic type balls (sorry, not sure what it is - husband is at the park with kidlets) and a phosban filter pad.

We had to do a fish rescue this morning, & because of this extra box... blah blah it made getting the goby out of this area of the sump very difficult. Well, as you can see, everything had to come out to catch the little guy.

Before putting back the way it was, we were wondering if there was something better we should do.

checkx1
05/16/2010, 02:59 PM
Your sump is fine and very similar to mine. I think you need to prevent your fish going through your overflow.

velfamily
05/16/2010, 03:07 PM
Your sump is fine and very similar to mine. I think you need to prevent your fish going through your overflow.

LOL ummmm yes. This was first on the "fix it" list today :)