PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep macro in their Tank?

SurfnFish
05/16/2010, 05:59 PM
I just got a new nano cube and it's not drilled. I don't really want to do a sump or hang on fuge. I know I've seen tanks with macro in it. Anyone here keep chaeto in their tank? What's the technique? Pics? TIA.

Ann Marie
05/16/2010, 06:21 PM
I have macro in my seahorse tanks, but not chaeto. Chaeto I use in refugiums. In my reef tank, I don't keep macro (just in the sump).

My technique....don't really have one. I had trouble keeping macro in the beginning because I wanted the water 'pristine', now I let the nitrates build up a little (not hard with seahorses) to give some nutrients to the macro.

I trim them as needed and dispose of the cuttings properly.

I don't know what the heck the macro is in the last photo, it's kind of like Bermuda grass. My seahorse isn't dead, she's just hunting for the pods that live in the nooks (scared the heck out of me though, the little brat).

There are probably some that would do better in a reef tank then some that I have because they will attach into the rocks and if you ever decide to remove it. Something like the red one grows slow or something like codium.

Frick-n-Frags
05/17/2010, 08:08 AM
some people do, but it usually gets away from you. i did it..i totally regret that decision now.

cheato is a complete nuisance in a DT..those strings start getting everywhere and it becomes as much a pest as anything else (IME)