PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Marin (Bio Actif) Reviewed

Shotgunlew
05/16/2010, 06:26 PM
I bought the small package of Tropic Marin's new salt and Im shocked with the results.

Water parameters the came out: Calcium CA 445 PPM
Magnesium 1350 PPM
8 KH
PH 8.35 On my buddys test kit ( all different brands but the ones for each he trusts most I can get the list If anyone would like )

I did a 15 % water change on my jbj 12g reef and im shocked at how well my corals have taken too it. They have all extended feeding polyps and well colored. I did the water change about 5 hours ago and turned the lights off. Im going to do a bigger water change and see what happens.

Chris

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/17/2010, 10:22 AM
This salt adds organic matter. I would not presume that a feeding response to those organics is particularly surprising, nor especially useful, IMO.

That said, it may be a fine salt. I personally, however, would want to know what organics are being added (they will not say), and if I wanted to add them knowing what they were, I would want to control it independently of a salt water change.

Toddrtrex
05/17/2010, 11:30 AM
I tried half a bucket recently -- I am now back to TM Pro. To be honest, I think that I will just throw it away. My Haddoni anemones did not react well to me using this salt (( 5 gallon weekly water changes on a 75, 58, & 33 for 3 weeks )). The 2 that were in my 75 reacted almost immediately, and at first I thought the water change salt was "off", but I check that water (( a little remained in my bucket )) and it was fine.

While I don't have any proof, I am leaning strongly towards thinking that salt was part (( if not all )) of the reason that I lost my newly introduced red haddoni. It took me some time to figure it out, but it started to take a turn for the worse when I switched salt.

Shotgunlew
05/17/2010, 12:43 PM
Changed another 4 gallons last night, everything in the tank is doing wonderful, the only thing I noticed is a slight amount of "white specks" Floating in the water. Could it be precip?

Chris

Shotgunlew
05/17/2010, 12:44 PM
I tried half a bucket recently -- I am now back to TM Pro. To be honest, I think that I will just throw it away. My Haddoni anemones did not react well to me using this salt (( 5 gallon weekly water changes on a 75, 58, & 33 for 3 weeks )). The 2 that were in my 75 reacted almost immediately, and at first I thought the water change salt was "off", but I check that water (( a little remained in my bucket )) and it was fine.

While I don't have any proof, I am leaning strongly towards thinking that salt was part (( if not all )) of the reason that I lost my newly introduced red haddoni. It took me some time to figure it out, but it started to take a turn for the worse when I switched salt.

Todd, I noticed you live in lombard, not far from me, If you are going to throw the box away I will Buy it off of you.

Chris

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/17/2010, 01:54 PM
Very sorry to hear about the anemone, Todd. I hadn't heard that yet. :(

I have a suspicion (only a suspicion at this point) that certain organic additives (vodka, vinegar, etc) may drive bacterial growth that under normal circumstances can be OK, but in a new anemone situation may be a problem if it helps drive pathogenic bacteria inside the anemone.

For example, I lost a long standing H. crispa a while after dosing organic carbon, and it was terribly disappointing. I’ve noted a few other such reports, but folks loose things for lots of unknown reasons. Since I have been dosing vodka and/or vinegar, I've had quite a hard time adding new anemones (gigantea's, haddoni’s, and crispa's, even a GBTA and an RBTA) despite the fact that established anemones of some of the same species in the tank seem to be OK. Clearly the organic carbon I’m adding, when overdosed, can brown up anemones due to excess zoox, rather than the effect that many corals folks see in bleaching of corals with too much organic.

Since this salt adds organics, and, sorry to say, much of the reefing world is somewhat myopically focused on what is happening to SPS corals, it might be less than optimal for certain organisms to add biodegradable organic matter.

Just speculation, but something that's been worrying me for a while now.

Toddrtrex
05/17/2010, 02:48 PM
Todd, I noticed you live in lombard, not far from me, If you are going to throw the box away I will Buy it off of you.

Chris

Send me a PM.

Very sorry to hear about the anemone, Todd. I hadn't heard that yet. :(

I have a suspicion (only a suspicion at this point) that certain organic additives (vodka, vinegar, etc) may drive bacterial growth that under normal circumstances can be OK, but in a new anemone situation may be a problem if it helps drive pathogenic bacteria inside the anemone.

For example, I lost a long standing H. crispa a while after dosing organic carbon, and it was terribly disappointing. I’ve noted a few other such reports, but folks loose things for lots of unknown reasons. Since I have been dosing vodka and/or vinegar, I've had quite a hard time adding new anemones (gigantea's, haddoni’s, and crispa's, even a GBTA and an RBTA) despite the fact that established anemones of some of the same species in the tank seem to be OK. Clearly the organic carbon I’m adding, when overdosed, can brown up anemones due to excess zoox, rather than the effect that many corals folks see in bleaching of corals with too much organic.

Since this salt adds organics, and, sorry to say, much of the reefing world is somewhat myopically focused on what is happening to SPS corals, it might be less than optimal for certain organisms to add biodegradable organic matter.

Just speculation, but something that's been worrying me for a while now.

Thanks Randy, still get "sad" walking up the stairs, and seeing the empty spot in the tank where it was.

What you are saying does make sense, just shooting myself for trying something new with a new addition in the tank -- should have either waited, or skipped trying it in that tank.

Shotgunlew
05/17/2010, 05:01 PM
PM Sent