PDA

View Full Version : thinking of going sumpless...

footballdude2k3
05/17/2010, 08:10 AM
my main question, is if i am going to run an HOB skimmer and have the same bioload i have in my 20, do i necessarily need more rock? i have baserock so its not that i am trying to skimp out on money, i just think that i could enjoy my tank more with less rock in the display...i was planning on having the extra rock in the sump, but now i am thinking about going sumpless like i have on my 20. so please convince me i either need the rock since my bioload is going to be 3 fish that my 20 supported or that i cannot live without a sump...thanks everybody

thegrun
05/17/2010, 08:16 AM
You don't give the size of the new tank, but regardless, no if you do not plan on adding more livestock, the rock you currently have will suffice in the new tank if you want to minimize the rock in the DT. You could add the sump/refugium later if you change your mind.

Fizz71
05/17/2010, 08:19 AM
The recommended lbs of rock per gallon keeps going down so I don't think anybody can really give you a definitive answer. I'd just get the most porous rock you can find so that you get the most benefit per pound and just keep an eye out. The biggest headache of being skimmerless is micro-bubble control and equipment in your tank...I did not have a pleasant experience with HOB skimmers...bulky pump in the tank, micro bubbles, ugh.

footballdude2k3
05/17/2010, 08:25 AM
sorry, it is a 40b, if i do not add a sump right now i would drill the tank, put a bulkhead in it in case i change my mind, i would not have an overflow though, that i would add later. also the main reason i am thinking of doing this is my tank is an island and it would be nice to be able to see it from all sides and i feel if i have all that plumbing on one long side of the tank i will find myself annoyed that i cannot see it as well....

mthomp
05/17/2010, 08:26 AM
I currently run sumpless. 55gal with a HoB bh 1000 octopus. while i wish id of gone with a sump. im really not finding any issues other then the thing taking up space in my DT

Fizz71
05/17/2010, 08:42 AM
Well if you really want viewing form all sides you could put drain holes dead center of the tank and run pvc right up the middle. Build a small skimmer to sit on the top of the PVC so the overflow would "float" in the middle of the tank. The hard part about multi side viewing is rockwork... I wouldn't want a tank smaller than 2 feet wide viewable from multiple "long" sides.

I currently run a peninsula setup (3 side viewing) with all overflow and pumps on one short end of an 8x2x2 tank. It took acrylic rods in my rock structure to get the height and flow through I wanted and still have room between corals and tank edge for a magnet cleaner to pass.

IMO...4 side viewing and trying to go sumpless are counter productive.