PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally Ran Hot Water through my RO/DI

skibum9884
05/17/2010, 10:43 AM
So, like the title says I accidentally ran hot water through my RO/DI unit the last few water changes (don't ask how....my stupid mistake).

Anyway, the output still reads under 20ppm, should I worry that running the hot water though still could have ruined the membranes?

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/17/2010, 11:01 AM
If the input and output TDS values suggest it is still working correctly, I wouldn't act to do anything about it.

skibum9884
05/17/2010, 11:03 AM
Excellent! Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/17/2010, 11:16 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy Reefing. :)

PurdueWaterGuy
05/17/2010, 12:46 PM
Most RO membranes have a maximum temperature of 113 degrees F. Sounds like you escaped without any damage.

Some installations in the pharmaceutical industry have RO membranes that can go up to much higher temperatures, allowing them to be heat-sanitized in the RO system. The water they produce is not quite as high a quality, or as high a volume, but the aility to sanitize-in-place more than outweighs the negatives.

Tim

floridazooguy
05/25/2010, 10:09 AM
If it did not damage the membranes the water produced should be just as clean and usable right? I had a friend turn it on for me and it was hot water but wanted to use it still?

skibum9884
05/25/2010, 10:11 AM
I'd check the TDS, I know that generally hotter water has more TDS, but I'm not sure if it'd all be removed by the RO/DI.

redfishsc
05/25/2010, 10:44 AM
BEWARE THE WATER that was made when you were running hot water through it.

I had this happen once, and for whatever reason, it allowed the ammonia (and possibly chlorine) from the chloramine in my water to pass right through. I don't understand how that could happen but it did. Maybe it caused the plastic to swell in such a way that water bypassed the membrane?

I only ran the thing about 15 minutes with hot water, and noticed the problem, and switched it to cold. There was still enough ammonia/chloramine in the top-off water to kill the 4 fish I had in my 20g after topping off a gallon of water the next morning.

The 5g jug of water I made had a definitely detectable amount of ammonia in it but I can't remember how much, it's been about a year.

I'm still using the same membrane, so no long term problems.

floridazooguy
05/26/2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the info