PDA

View Full Version : Handling Anemones

AC-WEB
05/17/2010, 01:34 PM
I am planning to add a RBTA to my 46 gallon reef tank for the first time in hopes that my perc hosts it instead of my torch coral. I'm wondering if there is anything I should be considering in regards to introducing this anemone to the tank and handling it. I hear some sting, so should i wear gloves? Sorry for being such a novice on anemones!

wicked_NaCl_h2o
05/17/2010, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't worry so much about the sting, the anemone sticking to your hand is annoying though. Just wear surgical gloves that are powder free. I guess my long tentacle anemone was trying to sting me. When I was moving it to my bigger tank years ago. It feels like a tingly sensation and my fingers felt a bit funny after touching it with my bare hands. I got tired of it sticking to my hand.. so I put some gloves on.

AC-WEB
05/17/2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks Wicked!

I wouldn't worry so much about the sting, the anemone sticking to your hand is annoying though. Just wear surgical gloves that are powder free. I guess my long tentacle anemone was trying to sting me. When I was moving it to my bigger tank years ago. It feels like a tingly sensation and my fingers felt a bit funny after touching it with my bare hands. I got tired of it sticking to my hand.. so I put some gloves on.

gweston
05/17/2010, 04:12 PM
I've just used those thin disposable plastic gloves.. ya know the clear/loose fitting boxed kind you can usually find in the painting section. Sure it fills up with water, but it puts something between your hand and the 'nem. But as others have said... many don't even use gloves.

DustinB
05/18/2010, 12:58 PM
I don't use gloves with my BTA's. Unless you have thin skin or it touches the back of your hand or inner arm you shouldn't feel anything. Now my frogspawn coral is different. That thing stung me so bad it killed the top layer of skin.

Allmost
05/18/2010, 01:10 PM
if you are handling a carpet anemone, WEAR GLOVES lol

but I personally always forget and have to leave my hand in vineager for like an hour lol

BTAs dont sting

or if they do, we dont feel it.

DustinB
05/18/2010, 01:13 PM
Never handled one of those. I heard those thing are pretty potent, and very sticky.

Toddrtrex
05/18/2010, 01:25 PM
if you are handling a carpet anemone, WEAR GLOVES lol

but I personally always forget and have to leave my hand in vineager for like an hour lol

BTAs dont sting

or if they do, we dont feel it.

Agree about Haddonis -- have had my hand swell up one too many times.

BTAs (( E. Quadricolors )) can/do sting, it is just a matter if it effects you or not. For the first 5 years of keeping them they never bothered me. However, near the end of me keeping them I would have marks on my hand/arms from them.

gthorpe2
05/18/2010, 02:01 PM
I have not had any problems with my BTA stinging me. He is pretty laid back. I can put my fingers in his tentacles and nothing. Now my female clown will bite the **** out of me.

elegance coral
05/18/2010, 03:04 PM
Like Todd said. It depends on the individual person. Some people have bad reactions, and others don't have a reaction at all. I never ware gloves. One reason is because I'm not real bright, and the other is because I never get a reaction from anemone stings. Healthy Elegance corals.....Now that's a different story.

bues0022
05/18/2010, 08:44 PM
Agree about Haddonis -- have had my hand swell up one too many times.

It's not only the hand that cam be affected. Remember, it's essentially injecting a toxin into your skin like a bee-sting. When I picked up my haddoni from a fellow reefer, he grabbed it with his hands. It was stuck so hard for so long that he ended up feeling nauseous, lightheaded, and had to sit down for a spell. Green stripped haddoni=nasty sting!

Toddrtrex
05/18/2010, 09:31 PM
It's not only the hand that cam be affected. Remember, it's essentially injecting a toxin into your skin like a bee-sting. When I picked up my haddoni from a fellow reefer, he grabbed it with his hands. It was stuck so hard for so long that he ended up feeling nauseous, lightheaded, and had to sit down for a spell. Green stripped haddoni=nasty sting!

That is a great point, and I forgot to add that. I was feeling really off the last time. Ended having to pop a bunch of Benedryal ( spelling ) and didn't feel right until the next day.

And funny enough the one that caused that reaction was a green stripe one too. Sold it about 2 months ago.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/greenstripe.jpg

AC-WEB
05/19/2010, 09:45 AM
All your feedback has been great, guys! :thumbsup: I will be using non powder surgical gloves when handling the anemone, just in case. Thanks to all again!

That is a great point, and I forgot to add that. I was feeling really off the last time. Ended having to pop a bunch of Benedryal ( spelling ) and didn't feel right until the next day.

And funny enough the one that caused that reaction was a green stripe one too. Sold it about 2 months ago.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/greenstripe.jpg

WDLV
05/19/2010, 10:23 AM
Wow. Good read. I'm not allergic to bee stings, but would probably caution those who are.

You guys who are getting reactions from these anemone stings might want to keep an epi-pen near your systems. Benadryl is another good option.

rssjsb
05/20/2010, 09:12 AM
Like Todd, I never used to have an issue, but now after several hears of keeping BTAs, I get a sunburn-type rash where they touch my wrists or the back of my hands. Never any other symptoms described above. I would be really concerned (like consult a doctor concerned) about respiratory symptoms or dizziness.