PDA

View Full Version : Return Lines - Locations for best flow

T-Hunter
05/17/2010, 02:41 PM
Looking for advice from the community on my return lines.

My new design will have 4 locations where I can split my return flow how ever I like by controlling each with a small loc line valve. I have a middle back overflow box.

2 of the returns are high near the surface, in the back upper corners pointing toward the middle front. I want to create a little bit of shimmer on the water since one of the viewing angles is upward and I want to hide light fixtures etc through the top water surface.

The other 2 are low in the tank, behind rocks, in the middle coming off of the sides of the overflow box. These point outward and upward and are to ensure better flow in the low back corner portions of the tank. Also facilitates better overall flow of water starting low and making its way upward to overflow box.

Note also that I will have a Vortech doing a large amount of turnover - it will be in front half of tank moving water side to side.

Because of the 2 low returns - I will clearly have a check valve (or maybe 2 for redundancy). Also will add a manual bypass around check valves for ease of draining tank when/if needed.

Anything else I am missing here? Is this overkill? Where do people return their flows?

I am going for a design where the returns are virtually unnoticed by frontal viewers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

SWINGRRRR
05/17/2010, 03:38 PM
IMHO, returns should not factor into your flow. Matching the turnover rate for your tank/fuge is a more favorable set-up. Actual tank flow should come from your PH's or closed loop. Again, just my .02$

T-Hunter
05/17/2010, 03:54 PM
I'm not really worries about flow closed loop in the end as I will add Vortechs to create as much as needed. This was more of a question of where is best for return lines back into the tank. Low? High? etc. And the trade-offs ...

I figured that since I have the ability to do so ... maybe I would add two low returns to the two high returns. So I could ultimately dial around 4 options. In this way I could achieve better flow in the back lower corners ... an area where I would imagine is going to be hardest to get flow to.

What is the most common return setup? Two returns high in the tank???

biecacka
05/17/2010, 04:16 PM
i have mine up high and then have my tunzes creating a circular race track type flow in my tank. personal preference tho! ;0

SWINGRRRR
05/17/2010, 05:57 PM
I'm not really worries about flow closed loop in the end
Its not a closed loop if its coming from your return. What I am saying, it put it where you want. It doesn't not matter and you should not consider it as part of your "flow." Its just a means to dump water back into your tank.
In this way I could achieve better flow in the back lower corners ... an area where I would imagine is going to be hardest to get flow to.
This is where the placement and size of your power heads come into play. That way you have no dead spots and are not relying on return "flow."

T-Hunter
05/17/2010, 08:54 PM
My goal is to not use power heads at all. I am going to use 1-2 Vortech MP40 external, magentically driven pumps. These would be positioned on the sides towards the front. They are rated at 2,000 - 5,000 GPH. So no doubt most of my flow will be closed loop and largely side to side in front of my reef/rocks.

As for the return lines ... it will add up to 1,000 GPH of flow. I just figured I could direct four lines out of this for some additional flexibility and fine tuning. I am in general curious if there are any negatives to doing so.

It sounds that you are suggesting that I should just rely on my closed loop pumps for coverage and not worry about it...

wantacookie
05/17/2010, 09:53 PM
vortechs are powerheads.

T-Hunter
05/17/2010, 10:31 PM
Sorry. Fairly new to hobby. I had assumed too narrow of a definition - as being submersible pumps.

Nonetheless, I am assuming that with a vortech - since it is mounted on the tank wall - you have less ability to customize the pattern/direction of flow in the tank. I can see how a submersible pump would give you more flexibility. Anyone that uses vortech ... can you comment on the truth of this. Thanks.

sjm817
05/17/2010, 11:15 PM
Because of the 2 low returns - I will clearly have a check valve (or maybe 2 for redundancy). Also will add a manual bypass around check valves for ease of draining tank when/if needed.

Low returns and check valves are a bad idea. You risk a flood if something goes wrong. Keep your returns up near the surface and skip the check valve.

vortechs are powerheads.
The Guys at EcoTech would say otherwise ;)

wantacookie
05/18/2010, 12:14 AM
Sorry. Fairly new to hobby. I had assumed too narrow of a definition - as being submersible pumps.

Nonetheless, I am assuming that with a vortech - since it is mounted on the tank wall - you have less ability to customize the pattern/direction of flow in the tank. I can see how a submersible pump would give you more flexibility. Anyone that uses vortech ... can you comment on the truth of this. Thanks.

I don't have a vortech, yet...

I think, if anything the vortech will allow you more flexibility than a traditional powerhead. Reason being, the options you will have built into the vortech controller to adjust the flow.

Most submersible pumps/powerheads still need to be secured to the tank in some form or fashion and other than a pivoting type feature that will allow you to point the flow somewhere, most don't allow you to alter the flow like the vortech.

Vortech benefits seem to me to be a wider pattern of flow and an undertow effect that it can create.