PDA

View Full Version : Could use some ideas to start researching

greech
05/17/2010, 07:00 PM
I have a 40 breeder with a 4 bulb Current Sundial T-5. Tank has been running since June 2009 and some of the LR came from my original 12 gallon cube.

Livestock includes:

1 x 3" female B/W clown
1x 2" Flametail blenny
Large Frogspawn and Duncan colony
Few other LPS frags (Chalice, acans, etc)

I would really like a partner for my female clown and to add an anemone. I am actually considering removing some corals as well to simplify things.

So my questions are:
1) Is my tank appropriate for an anemone?
2) If yes, which species are best and which do I have the best chance of hosting my clown(s)
3) Should I add the new clown and then the anemone or both the clown and the nem at the same time?

Here is a pic of my tank:
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/greech/100_3587.jpg

I'm diligent with my tank and not afraid of hard work or a challenge. Appreciate any tips advice that you all can provide!

ezhoops
05/17/2010, 07:16 PM
i would say yes, a BTA would be a good fit. let the fireworks begin

greech
05/17/2010, 07:34 PM
:celeb2:

Thanks, BTAs seem like the best option from the little I have read over the past few days.

Any advice on the order to add the clown and anemone? Clown first, nem first, together?

ezhoops
05/17/2010, 08:07 PM
I would add the clown first and then BTA but I don't think it really matters. others may do it different but i don't think its a real difference either way.

greech
05/17/2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks very much!

bues0022
05/17/2010, 10:46 PM
either one first, or both at the same time shouldn't matter much. You'll be increasing your bioload - so assuming sufficient skimming/filtration you should be fine either way.

WDLV
05/18/2010, 01:29 PM
Agreed on adding a BTA. Three things about that.
- You may need to be patient about hosting.
- You should try to find a large one (oral disc of 4" or larger) or else get several of them so the clowns have more surface area.
- Try to find a captive cloned source.

garygb
05/18/2010, 03:03 PM
I would suggest you add the anemone first, allow it time enough to find a spot and settle in without being pestered by a clownfish, then add the clownfish. The natural symbionts to BTAs, such as tomato, clarkii, maroon, cinnamon, etc. will quickly take to a BTA. Other species such as ocellaris or percula might be hosted by a BTA or might not, BTAs are certainly not their favorite and will quickly abandone a BTA to be in their natural host H. magnifica. The anemone should be at least twice in diameter the lenght of the fish, e.g. a 2 inch clown shouldn't be kept with a BTA smaller than at least 4 inches across the diameter of it's oral disc.