PDA

View Full Version : DD purple sea fan

fullmonti
05/17/2010, 07:30 PM
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv100/fullmontitog/Picture2.png

OK, I ordered it!

Now I'm hoping they weren't completely wrong when they told me about how they have been caring for them. I was told they only supplemental feed couple time a week since they are photosynthetic.

I am planing on putting it in my sps tank, strong light & flow. I already feed the tank some oyster feast, roti feast, & zeo sponge power three times a day, plus feed fish two times a day. Water quality is stable and very good.

Hoping this will keep it happy! What you think?

Timeless1483
05/17/2010, 07:35 PM
Nice sea fan. I'm sure you will be ok if you are feeding the tank so often. Good luck and can't wait to see pics.

fullmonti
05/17/2010, 08:22 PM
Also, I was going to get some cyclopeeze to add to the mix. Is frozen the best or will freeze-dried work just as well? if so is it best to mix a little with tank water before feeding or just use it dry? And what about marine snow (what brand etc.)

uhuru
05/17/2010, 09:08 PM
I have had this gorg before, it is very nice and will do well with strong lighting in an SPS tank.

LovenBama
05/17/2010, 09:13 PM
wow!! that's awesome. keep us posted when you get it and how well it does

fullmonti
05/17/2010, 09:30 PM
I have had this gorg before, it is very nice and will do well with strong lighting in an SPS tank.

I am so glad to hear that you have had success with these in a sps type system!

Any info on my food questions

Nanook
05/18/2010, 01:36 AM
It really doesn't need to be fed to thrive as long as the lighting is intense enough. It is not a non-photosynthetic gorgonian;) I was tempted but the price was too high. I had one a few years ago that I bought for $30 and it grew very well with just Iwasaki 400's and feeding the fish.

fullmonti
05/18/2010, 05:41 AM
Thanks for info Nanook, very good to hear. It was pricy, but you see so few things like these & I've been on a quest for blue corals for my tank, so just couldn't pass it up.

And, I will post some pix of it in my tank.

SDguy
05/18/2010, 07:09 AM
I bought one over 3 years ago from DFS. Does well for me under strong light and flow, as mentioned. I rarely, if ever, feed it. Place it in a spot that gets unchanging laminar flow, otherwise you end up with more than one "plane"...
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Seafanopen.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/For%20sale/Seafan_1-1.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Underwater%2003-09-10/28.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p5/SDreefguy/Underwater%2002-05-10/07_1.jpg

stunreefer
05/18/2010, 08:25 AM
Wrong Forum ;)

Looks awesome, nice snag!

fullmonti
05/18/2010, 09:20 AM
I posted in this forum because i thought the NPS guys would & have given me straight info on if this was truly a photosynthetic coral or not. & thanks every one

& thanks for sharing pix SDguy

stunreefer
05/18/2010, 09:53 AM
I'm just pullin' your Sea Fan fullmonti, no worries ;)

SDguy
05/18/2010, 08:41 PM
It's a great coral. A "true sea fan", and so easy to care for. I only wish I had kept it in laminar flow to keep the two dimensional plane.

fullmonti
05/18/2010, 09:04 PM
I fear I have no choice about type of flow. I have an ocean motion system, so flow alternates constantly, but don't really mind the multi planes, yours is still a cool coral. I'll be happy with either shape as long as it grows & is heathy.

Looking forward to having a new type of coral in my tank to watch grow.

Really feel much better hearing from people who have kept these guys, thanks

The Reef Expert
05/18/2010, 09:45 PM
Nice fan! but I was tempted but the price was too high.
+1:lmao: LA is always pricey. But how can you argue with a 15 day guarantee?:confused:

SDguy
05/19/2010, 08:31 AM
Nice fan! but
+1:lmao: LA is always pricey. But how can you argue with a 15 day guarantee?:confused:

I've never seen a seafan for sale anywhere else, so how do you know that is expensive? I see big gorgonians for sale at LFS all the time for $40, but never seen a seafan. What's the going rate for a seafan?

uhuru
05/19/2010, 09:57 AM
Phishy used to sell similar ones for $15 per frag or something like that but this one is a bit different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rekn
05/19/2010, 10:13 AM
its the garentee that cant be beat and the whole reason most, myself included, shop there.

GreshamH
05/19/2010, 03:01 PM
its the garentee that cant be beat and the whole reason most, myself included, shop there.

I shop at the Divers Den only as I shop there for their QT and care Kevin gives them. I see no reason for a 15 day when the animals speak for themselves :) LA items are shipped directly from the wholesaler and as such need to be QT'd. IN that case I see the reason for a 15 day on them :)

Jacob D
05/19/2010, 11:14 PM
So you're the one who snagged it. I was about to buy it the other night and it was gone by the time I checked out... I had been waiting awhile for one to pop up there and of course when it did I wasn't paying attention.

It's nice to see it thriving in tanks like Peter's.

velvetelvis
05/22/2010, 03:11 PM
I just picked one of these up today. It looks great. One question...how much flow should I give it? It looks pretty solidly fixed to the rock, but it hasn't started encrusting and it's so little that I'm afraid of it coming loose.

fullmonti
05/22/2010, 06:55 PM
http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv100/fullmontitog/seafan.jpg

Got him in the tank!

Don't think he could look any happier.

As for flow Velvet, I have him in pretty strong flow. Enough flow that he waves back & forth some. I'm hoping mine doesn't come loose too.

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv100/fullmontitog/zip4.jpg

Just took a new snap shot of hole tank. Sea fan is just to the right of blue tang near mid. of tank. Just thought some might like to see tank he went in.

velvetelvis
05/22/2010, 09:29 PM
Looks just like mine! :) My sea fan wobbles in the current too. I'm just crossing my fingers that this is a good thing.

I like how open your aquascape is--especially the big ledge on the right. My tank is much smaller (just 34G), so I'm kind of hoping the sea fan grows in multiple planes, instead of getting huge. What kind of lighting are you giving it?

fullmonti
05/22/2010, 10:22 PM
I have a 400w on ends & 1 250w in middle 20k.
Tank only been up for yr & 1/2, but corals have only been growing good for 4or5 months since I beat algae & perimeters became balanced & stable.
Holding a bunch of frags in tank for up coming frag swap, usually not so cluttered.

oldreefer76
05/23/2010, 07:59 PM
Phishy used to sell similar ones for $15 per frag or something like that but this one is a bit different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grabbed the last 1 Phishy had today was not in the best of shape, so we will see how it does

velvetelvis
05/24/2010, 06:52 PM
Jacob D, they have another one of these up on DD tonight, if you still want one. :)

alovely
05/25/2010, 08:00 AM
ahh nice I was looking at it last night and I was debating on whether or not I should get it. Great grab! Looks great!

velvetelvis
05/25/2010, 02:45 PM
They have another coming up tonight...for anyone who's interested in one of these sea fans, sign up for their alerts list and you'll see what fishes, corals, and inverts are going up on the site every night, M-F. Highly useful when you're looking for coveted items like this one.

Jacob D
05/27/2010, 02:06 PM
Jacob D, they have another one of these up on DD tonight, if you still want one. :)

Thanks, I have been seeing a few of them lately. Unfortunately my budget is blown for a little while. Sooner or later I'll pick one up :)

GreshamH
05/27/2010, 04:07 PM
new windshield or new coral Jacob... tough call

DBarsotti
05/27/2010, 05:32 PM
I have used a rubber band and some putty to hold this coral in place, if its happy it will encrust over the rock and then you just cut the rubberband off.

I orginally ordered a 4 inch frag.. as you can see if was little biger than 4". I fragged it up and kept a large piece and its doing great!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/dbarsotti/DSC_0213_2.jpg

SDguy
06/06/2010, 08:28 AM
^^ Holy crap that's huge^^ That came from DFS?

Oh wow, I just noticed how much it goes for now. That's more than I originally paid for my frag. Still worth it, IMO.

Hmmm, I need to start fragging :lol:

mcola78
06/09/2010, 10:14 AM
How fast do these grow? $125 seems like a lot of a 2" frag, especially if they are slow growers. But if these guys grow pretty fast, it may be worth it as they are illegal to collect.