PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Mistake

boo-v
05/17/2010, 09:01 PM
Welllllllll Apparently sunday morning I injured my back and ended up going to the emergency room, after coming home full of medication I checked on my tank only to notice that one of the lights that I had plugged in under my stand fell, since I barely bend down I had my wife just sit it on top of my sump.......woke up the next morning to find that the vibration from the pump caused the light to fall into the sump, after a quick introduction to electricity and water at the same time I managed to get it un plugged. I turn on the lights to quickly notice that my new BTA that had recently split in the sand looking like a scrambled it, all my snails, starfish and cleaner shrimp were either fried or poisoned. I quickly did a 20% water change to try to salvage something, the only thing that may live is my muchrooms, and they have this neon green vibe going in with them. Anyone have any suggestions on anything else I can do, I am testing the water as I speak

shifty51008
05/17/2010, 09:06 PM
did the light break or anything? sorry for your loss, may be a good idea to get a gfi.

mr.maroonsalty
05/17/2010, 09:09 PM
run Carbon, a polypad filter, do water changes...

NorthIAreef
05/17/2010, 09:56 PM
GFI's work wonders.. You can even get them in powerstrip form incase you cant get to the outlet to change it out..

ps. Sorry to hear about the tank, it really sucks when this kind of thing happens :(

boo-v
05/17/2010, 10:30 PM
how many water changes and how often?

run Carbon, a polypad filter, do water changes...

mr.maroonsalty
05/18/2010, 07:43 AM
If all that is left are the shrooms; I don't think you can hurt things, so I would large daily water changes for a few days then start dialing back the frequency a couple days at a time. Here's a calculator to play with to give you an idea what total percentage you are changing over the course of time: http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Things may continue to leach back for a while; you might want to try testing for Copper. Along with being great at pulling contaminants from the water, a Polypad can change colour giving you an idea what may in the water. Keeping Carbon (gac) fresh will help too.

boo-v
05/18/2010, 06:46 PM
I picked up some more carbon today jus to be on the safe side, the guy at my LFS told me to do the same thing, he tested my water and said that I may have caught it befor it got too bad, the same guy had a pump blow up in his store and his tank was completely white, he managed to save some items even though

If all that is left are the shrooms; I don't think you can hurt things, so I would large daily water changes for a few days then start dialing back the frequency a couple days at a time. Here's a calculator to play with to give you an idea what total percentage you are changing over the course of time: http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Things may continue to leach back for a while; you might want to try testing for Copper. Along with being great at pulling contaminants from the water, a Polypad can change colour giving you an idea what may in the water. Keeping Carbon (gac) fresh will help too.

mg426
05/18/2010, 06:48 PM
Polyfilters work very well.

klesher
05/18/2010, 07:20 PM
All these posts and nobody commented on the obvious. Man I hope your back is doing better. Your health is all that matters, everything else can be replaced.

I think I am going to wire in a GFI this weekend. Thanks for sharing the hard lesson learned.

boo-v
05/19/2010, 01:25 PM
Thanks man I really appreciate it, Im doing alot better thanks to the valiums, loratabs, and muscle relaxers! and since im in the Army I have had the last 3 days off! im high as Cheech and Chong right now lol!!

All these posts and nobody commented on the obvious. Man I hope your back is doing better. Your health is all that matters, everything else can be replaced.

I think I am going to wire in a GFI this weekend. Thanks for sharing the hard lesson learned.