PDA

View Full Version : Question about dead fish

nrbelk
05/17/2010, 09:22 PM
I just found my the clownfish I bought on Saturday dead in some rocks. I really don't know why it died. My other fish seem to be doing great, eating etc. Even the blue hippo I bought the same day (I love them, I really hope it does well).

the fish that died is probably barely an inch long, if that. It is stuck in some rocks that I would have to do a complete rock rework to get to.

Should I go through the rock rework to dig him out or will the clean up crew take care of him?

Tuscaquatics
05/17/2010, 09:24 PM
It depends on your CUC. I would get him out ASAP though. Did you put a tang directly into your tank without QTing him? Ich might very well be in your future. What other fish are in there? What size tank? What are you parameters and filtration?

akidnamedchad
05/17/2010, 09:34 PM
i would get him out as soon as possible specially if u can see him since the fish decomposing can cause problems in the tank.

nrbelk
05/17/2010, 09:45 PM
I can see him but he is at the bottom of a rock pile that is holding up other rock piles etc

Limerboy
05/17/2010, 09:55 PM
If you had a good Clean up crew they would make short work of him. If you dont remove him you make have a small ammonia spike. Either way as chad says he needs to be removed asap.

fowlr2reef?
05/17/2010, 10:29 PM
make a little barb like a fish hook at the end of a coat hanger and yank it out. yes it would be a very good idea to remove the fish. use a pair of pliers to coat hanger. good luck with your fish.

VacavilleFC3S
05/17/2010, 10:36 PM
i don't want to be rude, but all of you noobs are incorrect, with a proper clean up crew the body wouldn't never have a chance to decompose.

ultreef
05/17/2010, 11:45 PM
I had fish disappear in the tank before, one was a kole tang about 2" and a flame angel about 1.5". Both time there was no ammonia spike but I did notice a slight increase in nitrate but was only about 5ppm in 90gal of water. I think I have 10-15 hermit, a few turbo and a sand sifting star. Hope that helps.

If you have the water volume and a decent CUC, I don't think the small 1" clown is going to to crash your tank. Good luck.

fowlr2reef?
05/18/2010, 07:01 AM
i don't want to be rude, but all of you noobs are incorrect, with a proper clean up crew the body wouldn't never have a chance to decompose.

i agree. i really dont know the details of the tank. i was erring on the safe side:)

GhostCon1
05/18/2010, 08:07 AM

Assuming it didn't die from something that other fish in his tank could become infected with if they pick on the dead fish.

fowlr2reef?
05/18/2010, 10:19 AM
Assuming it didn't die from something that other fish in his tank could become infected with if they pick on the dead fish.
another valid point

Toddrtrex
05/18/2010, 10:40 AM

Can't really say that -- have no idea what size tank the OP has. Plus, IMO, most people have too large of a CUC anyways.

GhostCon1
05/18/2010, 11:45 AM
Can't really say that -- have no idea what size tank the OP has. Plus, IMO, most people have too large of a CUC anyways.

I am pretty sure mine is too large, but my mom would not listen to me and told the LFS to bag them up, so now I have to target feed snails :rolleye1: