PDA

View Full Version : Sound deadening material

jimnrose
05/18/2010, 07:58 AM
I have my sump tank inside a cabinet & trying to find a sound deadening material that I can put on the inside of the cabinet doors.
Any recommendations?

troylee
05/18/2010, 09:36 AM
dyna mat.... its used for deadening sounds in the car stereo world....:)

chuckreef
05/18/2010, 09:42 AM
I used stall mat from Tractor supply company to line the walls of my stand. It is about an inch thick and did an amazing job of silencing the tank.
Its about $40 for a 4 by 6 ft sheet.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/horse-stalls-accessories/rubber-matting/royal-mat-rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft--2219003

I higly reccomend this.

It works good for underneath pumps and sumps too!

onebadbug
05/18/2010, 10:25 AM
Recycled rubber mats (found at most big chain Home improvement store) bedded onto an open cell sythtic foam with any HTV rated silicones, the thicker the better, only your open space would dictate your final thickness'... and then attatch with stailess screws and soft rubber for fianl attatch?

I've done this in a few small spaces in recording studios inside storage cabinets... Never tried it in an aquarium though.

BeanAnimal
05/18/2010, 03:13 PM
dyna mat.... its used for deadening sounds in the car stereo world....:)

Good for damping panel resonance at low frequency... not good at mid to high range frequencies, of which most of our problem is. :)

BeanAnimal
05/18/2010, 03:15 PM
I have my sump tank inside a cabinet & trying to find a sound deadening material that I can put on the inside of the cabinet doors.
Any recommendations?

Malamine foam is going to be your best bang for the buck and thickness. You may be creating a heat problem though. Air leaks (ventilation) = noise leaks.

You need to go after the source of the noise before you try to insulate the noise.

jimnrose
05/18/2010, 03:30 PM
There is NO noise from the overflow system (beananimal design). the return pump (Pentair Quiet 1 4000) has a pretty low motor noise, but the Octopus Oct-x 200 is the main problem. The cabinet cavity has upper shelves with cut outs for tubing and cords thereby providing some air movement. I don't have any heat problems (LED lighting, etc) but don't want to cause any either. I was thinking of some sheet material that I could add to the access doors that could survive in the humid cavity. Jim
P.S. Thanks Beananimal for the continuous help to everyone.

r-balljunkie
05/18/2010, 03:42 PM
i put some extra dynamat i had left over under my sump, and the wood i have the tank (riimless) on. i hope to kill vibration mostly, not really noise containment.

c

nmunro
05/18/2010, 04:09 PM
Any good MVL ( Mass Loaded Vinyl) will work to reduce unwanted noise.