PDA

View Full Version : clean up crew

SaltLifer
05/18/2010, 12:09 PM
I have been really working on my 10year old 90gal.FOWLR tank for about 3 weeks now.I'm really wanting to try my hand at doing a reef. I have taken out about half of the bio-balls so far scrubed my but off on the glass and LR,vacumed the 3in.live sand bed,water changes every week,etc..I have 2 small clowns and just added 2 turbos.Lots of life in it,Asterina Anomals,nerites,pods,various polyps and sponges,bristle worms..etc. It did house a hippo tang that grew to about 8in and a domino damsel that is about 5in.They now reside in my 120L.Anyone have any ideas on what I might consider adding to help clean up the algae and sediment.Any other info.on if I'm going in the right direction is welcomed.:hmm1:

tkeracer619
05/18/2010, 05:25 PM
Get yourself two media reactors and some gfo (phosban). Run carbon in one and gfo in the other. Change the media each week. The tank will be cleaned up in no time. Suck out all the algae you can manually during your water changes and feed lightly.

With that bioload it shouldn't take long.

What kind of skimmer do you have?

SaltLifer
05/18/2010, 09:57 PM
skimmer is Sea Life Systems powered by a 1100 power head.I have two hangovers on it also right now to help with the clean up.What about the wet/dry chamber and sump,I was thinking of shutting it down and cleaning it out but a little unsure I have read some posts that disturbing the sand bed and such might not be that good of a idea?