PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a filter sock

rgentry123
05/18/2010, 05:53 PM
i have filter sock that needs to be cleaned but ive never done it before...can i put it in the washing machine? (without any soap of course)

Celestin
05/18/2010, 05:55 PM
you can throw it in the washing machine, then air dry it. some people run it through multiple cycles incase of any residue. you also have the option of putting bleach in it, but becareful of some types of bleach as they have detergent in them

johnnyroastbeef
05/18/2010, 08:37 PM
Turn it inside out, wash without soap, a little bleach and let it air dry. A second rinse cycle is not a bad idea.

fishreef1
05/18/2010, 10:19 PM
That's how I do it!

sue711
05/19/2010, 05:50 AM
I wash mine by hand. I have enough filter socks to last 2 weeks. I store the used ones in a plastic pail filled with plain water after rinsing them with water and pulling them inside out. Then when I want to wash them all, I refill the bucket with warm water (~ 2 gallons) and 1/4 cup bleach and let the socks soak overnight. The next day I put on plastic gloves and use my hands to agitate and then rinse the socks multiple times with fresh water. The last rinse is R/O water, and then hang them up to air dry. I would not put mine in the washer because I would be worried about the detergent residue from the machine.

RokleM
05/20/2010, 08:04 AM
you can throw it in the washing machine, then air dry it. some people run it through multiple cycles incase of any residue. you also have the option of putting bleach in it, but becareful of some types of bleach as they have detergent in them

Agreed, and I used the bleach back when I used filter socks. That is assuming any family or significant others don't mind you using the washing machine ;) If not, as sue711 stated, a bucket and soaking in some bleach will work well also, but is more time consuming. Either way, let them dry completely before use.

Chris27
05/20/2010, 10:19 AM
Washing machine and some plain-ol bleach - then let them air dry. Only effort on your part is putting them in there - I used to wash them out with the hose, but it was entirely too much work.

swabe3618
05/20/2010, 10:34 AM
i soak mine in warm water and bleach and then a good rinsing and let it out to air dry over night.

thegrun
05/20/2010, 11:04 AM
I turn mine inside out and blast them with a garden hose. I keep 4 sets and hang them to dry out after washing. I change them out every 3-4 days. Once every 4-6 months I will wash them with bleach in the washing machine as described above.

hEcToR1520
05/20/2010, 11:13 AM
I just blast them with the pressure washer till they look clean. If they're very dirty I'll soak them overnight in water with a bit of bleach

fishoutofwater
05/20/2010, 11:15 AM
i put all mine in the washer with bleach only. then let them air dry. once dry they are ready to go.

lcs
05/20/2010, 12:26 PM
I do the washing machine/bleach thing as well. The only other thing I do is to run a rinse cycle of the washer before I do the filter socks. I have a front loader so I'm not using too much water and I've noticed that there is still some soap left from the last load of laundry.