PDA

View Full Version : Snails escaping rimless aquarium

jcraft
05/18/2010, 08:18 PM
This is the second rimless I have owned. The first, a 70g I had a few years back, I don't recall ever having this issue.

I setup my new rimless a little less than a month ago- added the clean up crew last week- some assorted hermits, nassarius snails, cerinth snails and nerite snails. Now everyday I seem to be picking up the nerite snails off the floor...they travel up and over the rim of the tank.

Is this a characteristic of the Nerite snail? I never had issues before, but then again I usually have trim on the tank.

Haven't had issues with the cerinths jumping ship, just the nerites

johnnyroastbeef
05/18/2010, 08:29 PM
Yes, Nerites are suicidal snails. They will climb out of any tank, they climb out of my 300G acrylic eurobraced tank. I find them in the rug, under the stand- everywhere. The biggest problem I had with Nerites was when a bunch crawled into my durso, clogging the pipe and causing an overflow.

The Reef Expert
05/18/2010, 09:49 PM
hahahaha! thats so funny! (no offense)

karnivorous
05/18/2010, 11:08 PM
i will never understand why they do it. i figured thay could know that they left the water. but i guess not. theres an lfs near me, and evey time i go in there i either step on a snail, or spend 10 minutes saving the lives of a few dozen snails on the edges of the tanks. i dont get it

mcoomer
05/18/2010, 11:15 PM
They're just sticking it to the man! Build a nightclub in there, all night diner, maybe a Motel 6 so they can shack up with the girl from the club. See how many want to leave then...

J's Quiet Reef
05/19/2010, 01:11 AM
I read once that some nerites live in tide pools and are used to going from tide pool to tide pool. A few weeks after I first got mine I found several on the floor behind my tank. Even though they were really dried up, I tossed them back in and within a few hours they were moving around again. I found some on the floor once in awhile over the next few months, but it trailed off and I haven't found one on the floor in a about a year and a half. They must have figured out where there boundaries are.

Uncle Salty 05
05/19/2010, 07:20 AM
At the beach down here if you see a rock sticking out of the water it will be covered with nerites. I don't think I have ever seen one below the water line.
IMO they should not be sold for the hobby.
I can get as many as I want for free and they aren't worth picking up.

r-balljunkie
05/19/2010, 09:07 AM
goodbye cruel world. my life is meaningless.

aaaaah.

i have had a couple get out myself..luckily only a couple.

c