PDA

View Full Version : Stocking List 210

Opah
05/19/2010, 08:01 AM
I plan to get a standard 210 glass tank. I am new to fowlr and hope to get some suggestions. I currently have several tanks including a 120.

Current fish intended for 210:

Volitan Lion
Harlequin Tuskfish
Blonde Naso Tang
Blue Dot Grouper
Sargassum Trigger

I would like to add a couple (1-2) more fish to the 210.

Potential additions:
Another Tang (maybe a yellow, purple or sailfin?)
Large Angelfish (any that won't nip at lion?)
Dwarf Angel (any that won't get eaten by lion?)
Another lion (perhaps radiata?)
Marine Betta

Not sure how I feel about these:
Butterfly (have no experience with these)
Foxface/Rabbitfish
Hogfish

Would love an eel but my wife hates them...

All input greatly appreciated.

LisaD
05/19/2010, 08:10 AM
I have a 210. IMO the Naso tang may eventually outgrow your tank. Not sure about the grouper.

You could add another tang. IMO, purple tangs can be quite aggressive. Sailfin tangs are beautiful, but can get quite large. A yellow tang would stay a good size and add color and shouldn't be too aggressive. Personally, I like mimic (chocolate) tangs very much. They stay reasonable sized, have beautiful finnage, mellow personalities, and while subtle, I really like the adult coloration. Juvie coloration is bright yellow, mimicking the lemonpeel angelfish.

An angelfish should be fine. Maybe limit to medium sized angels. Look into some of the the Chaetodontoplus (not sure I spelled that right) genus, or maybe the swallowtail angels (Genicanthus). I have a blue spotted angel, really a nice fish, gets about 6 inches. I also have a blue face and emperor angel in my tank, but expect to have to upgrade to over 300 gallons in the next few years. A majestic angel is one of the larger angels that does not get too big.

Some dwarf angels are on the large size, like lemonpeels, but most will be food for the lionfish - if you get any dwarf angels look for the ones that are over 5" at maturity, and buy larger ones.

You could get another lionfish, but I'd get a more outgoing species, like a fuzzy dwarf.

Marine bettas are kind of shy, probably would do better in a more peaceful tank.

Opah
05/19/2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback LisaD.

I am concerned about an angel nipping the lionfish's fins. Do you have any experience with this?

LisaD
05/20/2010, 01:43 AM
I don't think you will need to worry about an angelfish attacking the lion. I have never had that problem, and don't remember seeing it on the forums.

Usually avoid triggers and puffers as tankmates. And IME, some mellow puffers (dogface) and triggers (blue throat) are fine with lionfish.

Fibinotchi
05/20/2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, watch this. It's probably only a matter of time. http://s136.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid136.photobucket.com/albums/q172/barbianj/MVI_2067.flv

LisaD
05/20/2010, 01:09 PM
I don't think a blue throat or sargassum trigger would be a risk with a lion, though I would avoid blue line, clown, queen, niger, picasso, etc.

Opah
05/20/2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks again for the input. I currently have a sargassum with a lion in a 120 and have no problems.

LisaD
05/21/2010, 05:15 AM
A 210 is a nice tank, though mine is already looking too small. In a few years, I will upgrade, due to my two large angels.

I have:
Emperor angel
Blue face angel
Blue spotted angel
Black tip grouper
Blue spotted rabbitfish
Brazilian dragon moray
Zebra moray

I keep talking about moving my BDM to a 90, just haven't done it yet, so I can put my really cool black and yellow dogface puffer in the 210. The BDM doesn't bother the other fish, but stalks and kills puffers. :(

I also have a white spotted filefish I want to put in the 210, but would probably also have to move the zebra moray as well.

I have dwarf lions and scorps in another tank, and many other fish in a few other tanks.

Opah
05/21/2010, 07:46 AM
sounds nice. I have a similar setup. I have several tanks of various sizes. I am looking to set up a nice FOWLR display tank with the 210 (maybe a few corals...). I think I will set up my current 120 for seahorses. I am currently have a temperature problem in my fish room and am installing an exhaust fan today.

So maybe a list like this:

Harlequin Tuskfish
Volitan Lionfish
Blue Dot Grouper
Blonde Naso Tang
Sargassum Trigger
Scribble Angelfish
Yellow Belly Regal Tang

I currently have some mini hermits and turbo snails as a cleanup crew. Will these inverts survive? Can any others survive?

LisaD
05/21/2010, 12:24 PM
Nice list. I think there is a good chance bigger hermits will survive, not sure about your snails or small hermits. The tusk would be the major risk, I think.