PDA

View Full Version : what do you think about these lights?

jenreef
05/19/2010, 07:27 PM
hi i was looking for t5 retro fit lights and i found these http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Pre-Wired_Retrofit_Kits/48_inch__4x54W_SLR_T5_Pre-Wired_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Ballast_&_Bulbs_by_IceCap. what do you think about this lighting? i am going to have a 55 gallon mixed reef tank. can i put sps at the bottom of my tank with these lights if i wanted to. it says for common sizing guidelines that i can do sps dominated but i just want to double check with you guys. also i know these lights do not come with a acrylic shield do i need one? or can i have it just like that under my canopy? do you suggest me putting a glass canopy on my tank? or will it block too much light? i am just worried about the lights with humidity plus water. any help is greatly appreciated

RotaryGeek
05/19/2010, 08:40 PM
For a 55 i wouldn't worry about sps, you could grow almost anything anywhere with those as long as you have good bulbs. Don't forget about cooling the bulbs though. You will need to get a fan and mount it somewhere to blow fresh air on your bulbs to cool them down otherwise they will overheat and loose alot of efficiensy (sp?)