PDA

View Full Version : Ally died.

hikarishadow
05/20/2010, 12:37 AM
My peacock Ally died today shortly after the light came on.

She was perfectly fine yesterday and today she was laying on her side twitching. I blew water over her with a turkey baster for about an hour and she seemed more able to move, but she just died a little while after. All water tests came back ideal. I did a water change about five days ago.

I really don't know what could have killed her. She lives with a long spine urchin and he was sitting nearby when I found her. Currently, he's my prime suspect, but I don't even know if it's possible for him to sting her or if the toxin would do her harm. It makes me itch for a week. Her back had some damage that was very new, so I'm also wondering if he tried to munch on her or something. I got pictures. I'll put them up later when I drag them off the camera.

The only other thing I can think of is if my apartment complex sprayed for bugs heavily for the spring today, but last time I asked I was told they do it monthly so it's always a small spray. I'll find out tomorrow.

Right now, I'm just heartbroken. I got her May 15 last year from stomatopod.com and she was my little princess.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll259/hikarishadow/Nov/DSCF4062copy2.jpg

lionbacker54
05/20/2010, 05:54 AM
so sorry to hear it, hikari. i really enjoyed your video's of her and her tank.

gozermantis
05/20/2010, 08:02 AM
Aww Tegan im so sorry to hear this. I know how much she ment to you...losing my first peacock was a real bummer too. What's going on this month with tons of people losing peacocks? If you need anything you know how to get a hold of me.. stay strong buddy.

-Adam

young doz
05/20/2010, 08:21 AM
its a damn shame, sorry to hear..
mmm it does seem like lots of peacocks are dying recently

Koshmar
05/20/2010, 08:57 AM
Pinche! I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you feel better soon. Hang in there. It sounds like you did everything you could short of mouth to mouth resuscitation.

Thurge
05/20/2010, 09:09 AM
Sorry to hear that. I doubt it was the urchin. I can't see how it would have caught your mantis. It may have munched on it when it was incapasitated but its not what started the down fall.

sjmantis
05/20/2010, 11:56 AM
Sorry to hear :sad1:

hikarishadow
05/20/2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the support. I just hope I can figure out what the cause was.

ladyshark
05/20/2010, 11:06 PM
Just posted the same thing myself. V. sorry to hear about the loss. V. gorgeous mantis.

Fretfreak13
05/22/2010, 10:58 AM
Omg I'm so sorry! Since coming here to learn about mantis' I first read a thread about Ally and I always knew her name, but I'd forget everyone else's mantis' names. That is so sad..=(