PDA

View Full Version : Sick hammer coral - could cause be from feeding method?

pitmindi
05/20/2010, 10:55 AM
I have freshwater tanks which I love, so I tried saltwater tanks and it is overwhelming. In my saltwater tank I have frogspawn, torch, hammers and I feed 3-5 times a week alternating oyster feast, rodi feast and articpods. I spot feed so I use a syringe without the needle and dialute the food to 1 part food to 3 or 4 parts saltwater, then I shoot the food at the coral from a distance of 1 or 2 inches. The area above the coral often becomes foggy (like dry ice on a stage) and often the coral will close around the food then produce a mucus-like substance and sometimes a string-like line later. Am I harming the coral? I did try feeding mysis but the corals dont take it and the mysis just falls to the tank bottom. My wall hammer coral is dying now and I wonder whether my feeding method is to blame. Some of the tenicles on the Hammer became gunky and sort of turned to goo. I dont know if it is the brown jelly disease. Is there a picture of that anywhere? I didn't throw the hammer out yet but I did transfer it to another tank so it wont spread whatever disease it has, although the gunk did dispurse around the tank when I removed the coral. I have a 4-bulb T5 lighting unit (2 blue, 2 white)and the corals are towards the top. Any advice would be appreciated. (I also posted a similiar question in the LPS forum. Thanks

troyman
05/20/2010, 11:08 AM
first of all dont sound like enough lighting i only spot feet soft corals my happer does well without you might be irratating it

ninja_fish
05/20/2010, 12:06 PM
If it's brown jelly, then you should try to cut that piece off immediately if you can. I had brown jelly on one head of my 2 headed torch and within a matter of a few hours it spread to the second head and destroyed the whole thing.

I don't mean to be a downer, but that's some bad stuff!

hdelectraglide
05/20/2010, 12:34 PM
i think you might be feeding to much 3 to 5 a week seems like a whole lot . I feed the same way with no problems but i spot feed once a week . what size tank? the lighting should be fine for lps up top but not to close. like ninja said cut off the bad . dont give up on saltwater the rewards are much great than freshwater .good luck

footballdude2k3
05/20/2010, 02:34 PM
hd, he prolly is not overfeeding the coral, i know people that target feed every other day to every day and their LPS just takes off and they frag it.

rgonzalez
05/21/2010, 10:09 AM
I honestly do not think you can feed them TOO much. However, maybe your feeding is overloading your filtration system? What wattage of lights do you have?

I'm betting something else is going on...

outy
05/21/2010, 11:13 AM
water quality more then anything as stated from overfeeding.

I dont feed mine every and there thriving and outgrowing my tank

test test test

Lyfey
05/21/2010, 11:31 AM
How much flow? Need flow to remove the waste that the coral excretes.