PDA

View Full Version : Stocking my 5.5 Nano

lineymac
05/20/2010, 11:15 AM
I'm currently starting a 5.5g nano tank. I was wondering what inverts I should put in it. My dad is getting rid of his 120g reef tank so I have access to a cleaner shrimp and a ton of peppermint shrimp. Also, there are many hermit crabs, emerald crabs, and turbo or astrea snails. Anyone have advice?

Sugar Magnolia
05/20/2010, 11:56 AM
IMO, the cleaner would get too large for that size tank. You could get away with the peppermint. Skip the emerald crabs and turbo snails. They also would get too large for a 5.5g. A couple of astreas and a couple of ceriths or nassarius snails would round out the clean up crew for you.

And...

[welcome]

lineymac
05/20/2010, 12:19 PM
Ok so one peppermint shrimp, a few astrea snails(like 4-ish?) and should i put any red-legged hermit crabs in the tank or refugium?

Sugar Magnolia
05/20/2010, 12:39 PM
If you can get the red legs, sure... toss a couple of them in there. You have to remember, they will all be competing for food in a limited amount of space so you may have some fighting. Generally though, the red legs are not nearly as aggressive as the blue legs. Be sure to provide extra shells for the hermits.