PDA

View Full Version : 2 ?'s In one, hermits and temp

Ryand63
05/21/2010, 09:32 AM
I apologize for the newbie questions, still getting the hang of the whole saltwater deal. Do all of you add any supplements for the hermits to ensure proper molting and growth and what not? and is fluctuations from 78-81 from day to night too much? If so, what is the perfect temp in your opinio?n

dcombs44
05/21/2010, 09:40 AM
Nothing needs to be added for the hermits. Iodine is needed for shrimp to molt. Same probably goes for crabs, but you get sufficient amounts of iodine (or iodide not sure which) from water changes, as your salt mix will contain all you need.

Probably not too bad of a temp swing. If you notice issues, you can add a fan over the sump or display to keep it around 78 or 79 all the time. If you do use a fan, just keep in mind that you will have more evaporation, and will have to top off more often.

Uncle Salty 05
05/21/2010, 09:43 AM
As long as you keep your parameters in range you don't need to supplement anything for your crabs.
A 3 degree swing is nothing to worry about, 81 is a little warm though.
Do you have a sump? If so an el cheapo fan is all it would take to drop this a couple of degrees. Your evaporation will increase but the trade off is worth it in my opinion.
Don't apologize. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Ryand63
05/21/2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks Salty and dcombs. I do not have a sump. I have my 46 gallon with two fluorescent bulbs over a glass canopy, the glass canopy keeps me from having to top off bc almost no water evaporates. And I will have to mess around with the temp a little bit more, still getting the hang of things. And just to clarify what you mean, I do or do not need to supplement for shrimp such as coral bandeds or skunk cleaners? Or crabs such as mithrax as long as I keep up with water changes? I do not mind supplementing just want to do what is best.

thegrun
05/21/2010, 10:27 AM
Nothing needed for the hermit except a few larger shells for them to use as they grow. As a second opinion, I would not dose iodine. Its role in the aquarium is highly debated, with many of us in the camp that it has little or no value and may cause harm.
Your temperature swings are fine. The weather has not heated up yet however, so you may have issues in the summer. I would recommend trying to keep the tank from getting over 82 (84 absolute max). You may need to get a fan to increase your evaporation to cool the tank or worse case a chiller.

dcombs44
05/21/2010, 10:42 AM
Removing the glass canopy would be a simple way to reduce heat if need be.

I agree, do not dose Iodine. It's hard to test for, and as mentioned, it's use is debated. It is, however, said to be needed in some amount to help crustaceans molt.

Either way, normal water changes, and you're fine.

Ryand63
05/21/2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks again! Yeah the weather hasn't quite warmed up here yet either. But the room my tank is in is air conditioned and will not get much hotter than now. I will turn my heater down a notch as well. Thanks all!

Njkidd23
05/21/2010, 06:36 PM
Yea 2-3 isn't badd just make sure everything looks fine. I hate topping off so I just lower my thermometer instead of using fans. I really need a ato

shifty51008
05/21/2010, 06:44 PM
actually IIRC the average temp in the ocean is 84 degrees, however i like to keep my tank around 78-80 but your temp range is still in good range.

and as stated nothing other than your normal water changes needs to be added for a crab to molt.