PDA

View Full Version : How long can SPS live in bags?

IFbettas
05/21/2010, 08:42 PM
I'm going to be moving across the country soon, and have a quick question. Can sps live in bags/tupperwares for 2 days in a styrofoam cooler, assuming temperature is kept in check?

If I can take my colonies myself I will, or else I will have a friend ship me frags once I get there.

jd474
05/21/2010, 08:57 PM
likely will slime excessively and foul the water.

Znut Reefer
05/21/2010, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't think so. Thats why they are usually shipped overnight only. I would have someone ship you some frags.

IFbettas
05/21/2010, 10:37 PM
I think I might experiment by putting some browned out birdsnest and acro frags in bags for a couple days and see if they make it.

Does anyone have personal experience with keeping sps in bags for a couple days?

sedor
05/21/2010, 10:48 PM
Why not transport them in rubbermaid containers and use a powerhead and heater on the containers at night when you stop for the night. If you want to get extra fancy you can buy an inverter for your car which will plug into the cig lighter and give you a couple standard outlets that you can run a powerhead and heater the whole trip. This is of course assuming your driving. If your flying getting them shipped is the best option.

60Cubed
05/21/2010, 11:47 PM
Sell them...move...then buy more. Thats what I did

BlueFaceAngel
05/22/2010, 01:29 AM
if you can waterchange and reox the bags once a day they should be fine...but no coral do not ship well after 2 days, the water spoils and the corals rot

recife111
05/22/2010, 04:18 AM
They should do ok for 30 hours, smaller sps ship better.

TotalVapor
05/25/2010, 10:34 PM
Why not frag your corals and have a friend keep the frags. Then take the colonies with you and see how it goes. If everything makes it then tell your friend to keep or sell the frags.

If they dont make it have your friend ship you the frags.

Everything should make it just fine if you bring extra water with you. if it taking longer that expected do a small water change. Of course if you have the room for extra water.

scaryperson27
05/25/2010, 11:43 PM
That's kind of unfair for the friends. I like the rubbermaid idea.

menthol
05/26/2010, 09:49 AM
I dunno about a couple of days, but sps that I collect turns out okay after 15hrs just wrapped in wet paper towels. I would caution about the rubbermaid idea, a powerhead would heat up a smaller volume of water pretty fast.

MrKite24
05/26/2010, 02:45 PM
I had to transport my sps tank to a rubbermaid for a week when we lost power due to a hurricane. They lasted fine for a week in a large rubbermaid with a powerhead and a fan blowing across the water. I even had some PC lights over the rubbermaid. You just have to be very careful when you put them back in the tank. They'll go into shock and possible RTN if you blast them with MH lights after sitting in a container for so long.

I had a 29 gallon tank setup so I figured moving them to a 20-30 gallon rubbermaid wouldn't be too different.

ros_sco
05/26/2010, 03:32 PM
, a powerhead would heat up a smaller volume of water pretty fast.

Very true, had to wait for my water to cool off before a change because a powerhead I tried for mixing raised the temp too much.