PDA

View Full Version : My proposed stocking list--thoughts?

ladyshark
05/21/2010, 10:30 PM
Hi all,

I have a well established 75 gallon that currently has only live rock and some sponge, and a tunnel made from pvc pipe. It recently housed a peacock mantis shrimp that just passed away. All water params are good, although nitrates are around 20. Fluval filter, Aqua Remora skimmer, NO lights, Koralia pumps for water flow.

I am thinking about stocking it with non aggressive fish and some inverts, perhaps more sponge and some plants. Don't want to get into heavy lighting for coral, etc.

My initial thoughts are:

3-4 Yellow head jawfish--definitely, they are adorable!
Flame hawkfish--maybe
Mimic or Lavendar tang--maybe, not priority
Marine Betta--really want
Midas Blenny--really want
5-6 Chromis--enough for a small school

I would also put a decent amount of porceln crabs, 2-3 shrimp, perhaps a brittle star, some snails. Haven't had CUC in a while, what with the mantis shrimp and all.

Its been a long time since I have had reef fishes, so am interested in feedback from all y'all.

Thanks in advance

LisaD
05/22/2010, 12:19 AM
I think your list is fine, except maybe the lavendar tang. I used to have one of these, and I don't think it would have been happy in a 75. Since you aren't having corals, how about a dwarf angel instead? I love they coral beauty - beautiful, variable, moderately priced, hardy, not especially aggressive. Or even a blue spotted angel or pair of them. I have one of these - really pretty and they don't get too big, they are more in dwarf angel size range, like one of the larger Centropyge.

See my additional comments on your list below.

3-4 Yellow head jawfish--definitely, they are adorable!
*I agree! Especially in groups. One of the most personable fish.*

Flame hawkfish--maybe
*Great choice - color, personality, small size. Love the googly eyes. Mine never ate inverts, but it IS a hawksfish, may not be safe for some crabs and shrimp.*

Mimic or Lavendar tang--maybe, not priority
*I wouldn't do it. If you don't like my angel idea, I'd get the smallest foxface species.*

Marine Betta--really want
*Great choice, I have one. They are gorgeous and hardy. If you give it plenty of cover it will be out quit a bit.*

Midas Blenny--really want
*I've never had one, but they are really cute and a nice color.*

5-6 Chromis--enough for a small school
*I've heard this doesn't usually work out so well. Also, I think this many chromis may be pushing the bioload. How about a group of small cardinals instead? There are some beauties.*

I'd also add in some kind of goby if you felt there was room. I also like those aiptasia eating filefish... Not sure if they would bother shrimp or crabs - I would guess not.

You'll have to look at your final list once you get it made to decide if the bioload is right. If you don't have a HOB refugium, maybe plant some decorative macroalgae to help with nutrient export.

bsagecko
05/22/2010, 06:19 AM
Umm...just a heads up

When I had my flame hawkfish...it would take out hermits and snails in my reef tank so you might want to be careful with that...also when I added twin spot gobies the flame hawkfish decided they were lunch...so just be careful...as a result of missing fins from the gobies he was removed...I do not think this is typical but just be careful.

Oh but the midas blennies and jawfish are lovely choices just make sure that the jawfish has enough sand for its home...

I would not go with the chromis usually you will end up with one or two out of your 5~6...you might want to just add more shrimp/crabs or if you want better movement go with a dwarf angel and a small wrasse?

pktech
05/22/2010, 07:25 AM
Don't corals require very good if not great lighting? It's one major reason why I don't consider corals now. I like your stock list!

ladyshark
05/22/2010, 09:53 AM
Really helpful feedback, thank you so much. I will nix the flamehawk for now, as I do want to develop an invert community. Also will forgo the chromis and see if I can get movement and color from other choices--will be checking out Lisa's angel ideas.

PKTECH I totally agree, which is why I will only go with sponge at the most---I want to focus on the animals and not chase algae growth, etc.

I need to spend some time on the Plant and Macro Algae forum.

A lovely Lavender Tang will have to wait for another day, another tank.....sigh....

Thanks again for the feedback

LisaD
05/22/2010, 06:36 PM
You don't need a ton of light to have a nice planted tank. I use PCs or T-5s and have decent macroalgae growth.

Stay away from many of the caulerpas - esp grape.