PDA

View Full Version : Deep Sea Coral Beauty?

travis32
05/22/2010, 12:11 PM
I saw one of the online fish retailers was featuring sales on deep sea coral beauties. A species of CB that I haven't read about on here before so it peaked my curiousity.

Does anyone have one in a mixed reef? How do they compare to a standard CB?

I'm guess that since they are found deeper in the ocean the prefer lower lighting conditions? What is their temperment like compared to that of a CB?

I'm contemplating having a clam eventually so dwarf angels may be out of the question for me, but, just curious if they'd be easier to keep in a reef with clams and / or SPS than say regular CBs.

I searched Reef central and didn't really see anything on them.

GhostCon1
05/22/2010, 12:32 PM
I just saw this amazing fish on LA just a few minutes ago, googled it and apparently it is just like regular ones. I didn't go doing a lot of research on it but they did say it will eat sps polyps (but I think normal ones do that, too and/or it's an individual thing).

I love the electric blue stripe it has on it!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=89332 <--- link for anyone that wants to see it

Mr. Fish
05/22/2010, 12:37 PM
All the information I have on them comes from a paragraph from Scott Micheal's Angelfishes & Butterflyfishes book. It seems like they are no safer with coral/inverts than other cb, but their coloring can be extremely different there are pictures of them being completely white. I bought a purple color morph coral beauty yesterday and I have been very lucky it hasn't picked at any of my inverts. It really depends on the individual fish you get, but I hear that cb are one of the more reef safe dwarf angels.

travis32
05/22/2010, 04:41 PM
Bluezoo had a special on them for a lot less. I wasn't sure though what the difference was. They look awesome, I don't have a clam or SPS at the moment, currently not an issue, but, may have a clam in the future if I upgrade my lighting. Not sure I want to delve into SPS or not. So, the fish would be intriguing to have.

GhostCon1
05/22/2010, 06:18 PM
There is a member on here that has a deep water CB as his profile pic. I am assuming that it is theirs, but you know what they say about assuming.

Anyway, their profile pic of that DWCB is stunning.

edit: deep sea, deep water lol

flameangel88
05/22/2010, 06:37 PM
I can't comment on the temperment difference as I never had a regular CB and most of my tanks are fowlr. I can tell you it's affressive toward similiar or smaller size angels. He goes after the 2 female Flame angels but gets chased my the male. The new one is chasing the Colin's angel but so far it's just chase and no nip. I do have them in low lighting setups.

As for comparison bet specimen from LA DD and BZA Top 50 section here are some pics.

LA DD: last Sep when it first came out (I think it was around 2.5")
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/IMG_8224.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/IMG_8133.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/IMG_8173.jpg

BZA 3" just received 2 days ago
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_6270.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/DSC_6267.jpg

add one more comment: it does nip when I'm feeding live clam on half-shell.

euod
05/22/2010, 07:17 PM
This fish has been quietly under the radar. It comes in many shade of color and I have a morphed that is all orange from Samoa as shown here:
http://fins.actwin.com/species/index.php?t=9&i=50

I find the CB to be more aggressive and a picky, nippy eater, so it will never get that plump look.

flameangel88
05/22/2010, 07:46 PM
The orange variant from Samoa looks really nice! I would love to get a pair. :)

Good thing that mine is not picky as he will eat pellets and nori.

euod
05/22/2010, 09:04 PM
Forgot, congrats to you flameangel88 on your nice picks. Keeping my eyes on yours as well. Would also like to find a solid white and solid blue, too.

travis32
05/22/2010, 10:10 PM
Awesome Pics! Thanks for sharing. Grr.. I want one. LOL.

I think I'll get my clowns first. One pair of black and white percs is what i Have my eyes on at the moment. mixed with my current fish: a betta, royal grama, and Lawnmower blenny.

Then, I want one more open water decorative fish. I've been leaning towards the CB or flame angel, but, the Deep water one is cool too.

We'll see where I end up.. My fish lineup is more agressive than I originally planned. ;)

I read that Dwarf angels should be introduced in a 6 month or older tank to ensure their's sufficient algae and stuff for it to nip at throughout the day. I was thinking the more established the tank the better. Is it a good idea to introduce one as the last fish to ensure the tank is most established?

Mcubed
05/23/2010, 08:06 AM
I just took a gamble and ordered one. I have SPS, LPS, clams, sponges, etc. We'll see what happens :).

Juggler
05/23/2010, 10:26 AM
Is it just me or do coral beauties seem to be particularly nasty in terms of disease and parasites when they come in? I haven't seen a really clean CB in a while...

travis32
05/23/2010, 10:33 AM
The regular CB my LFS had a few days ago, visibly looked really healthy. I can't say whether there were invisible parasites or not.. A couple weeks ago the same LFS had one that looked relatively horrible. It's fins were very disheveled and didn't look overly healthy. I don't know if the better looking one was the same one or not, but, I've seen several and most look decent. Maybe it's because they're harvested vs. Tank bread?

travis32
05/23/2010, 10:34 AM
I just took a gamble and ordered one. I have SPS, LPS, clams, sponges, etc. We'll see what happens

Let me know how yours does! I'm really interested in seeing how it goes, though no 2 are alike in how they respond to aquarium life.

Mcubed
05/26/2010, 03:57 PM
Let me know how yours does! I'm really interested in seeing how it goes, though no 2 are alike in how they respond to aquarium life.

My Deep water Coral beauty was delivered to my house this morning along with another fish and some corals. It was laying on it's side in the shipping bag and only lived a couple hours after. My other fish and corals seem to be doing fine though. I already recieved a credit from the shipper, but I'll have to pay shipping if I order another one. Sucks big time. It was a cool little fish.

pktech
05/26/2010, 06:14 PM
This is what I don't understand about the online companies - why do you have to even pay shipping? They sent you a 1/2 dead fish! When I send a customer a defective piece of equipment, as a business owner, I want to retain them so I eat it. Plain & simple - sometimes I do extra in hopes that maybe they'll recommend me to a collegue.

i'd like to know who shipped you the fish so I know not to order from them.

Mcubed
05/26/2010, 07:12 PM
This is what I don't understand about the online companies - why do you have to even pay shipping? They sent you a 1/2 dead fish! When I send a customer a defective piece of equipment, as a business owner, I want to retain them so I eat it. Plain & simple - sometimes I do extra in hopes that maybe they'll recommend me to a collegue.

i'd like to know who shipped you the fish so I know not to order from them.

I completely agree with what you say and i was pretty ****ed off when I found out that shipping was non-refundable. Unfortunately, if you read their livestock guarantee; in the small print it states that "Shipping charges are not refunadable." So I guess I am out of luck.

travis32
05/26/2010, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear that Mcubed... :(

That is annoying! The refund of the fish is almost meaningless because the shipping is more than the cost of the fish!

one thing to note though, depending on the company, sometimes they have sales where if you order say $100 or whatever of livestock, shipping is free. So, if you can get in on that with the same company, then maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Gogandantess
05/27/2010, 07:00 PM
Bland to me... I prefer the darker regular ones with more blue in the bodies.

stunreefer
05/28/2010, 06:20 AM
I read that Dwarf angels should be introduced in a 6 month or older tank to ensure their's sufficient algae and stuff for it to nip at throughout the day. I was thinking the more established the tank the better. Is it a good idea to introduce one as the last fish to ensure the tank is most established?
Angels will adapt better to aquariums that have things to pick at while they're still being acclimated to captivity. This also allows them to have a food source while being weened onto prepared foods. You should have an established QT tank where you can monitor them and get feeding for a month or so prior to placing them into your DT.

Is it just me or do coral beauties seem to be particularly nasty in terms of disease and parasites when they come in?
Many angelfish come in with flukes, internal parasites, etc. "Coral Beauties" are so commonly imported that we see tons of them compared to other species, along with the fact that they're collected by such a huge range of people, some having crap collection processes, which hurts them throughout the chain until they get to us.
Maybe it's because they're harvested vs. Tank bread?
No one is captive breeding coral beauties right now, they're all wild caught.