PDA

View Full Version : Mantis at LFS

ladyshark
05/22/2010, 09:26 PM
Went to LFS today and to my surprise, they had a mantis! Having just lost my peacock, I was intrigued, as they have never carried mantis before. They said it was a peacock, but I am not so sure. Green body without much other color, but it was only about two inches long. Still, it was bulky like a peacock, not small like a wennarae. From what I could see, he looked like a smasher.

I checked out the differences between species on stomatopod.com and will go back to check him out again.

I don't know if it matters much if he is a peacock or not, the stupid LFS had him in a tank without any cover, so he was kind of hugging the side. I feel like I need to go get him just to rescue him and give him a good home.

Frustrating. Do peacocks develop more color as they get older/bigger?

Thanks for listening....

DanInSD
05/22/2010, 09:41 PM
O. scyllarus are readily identifiable as such right off the bat. There is no mistaking them at all. If you have doubts, it's probably not O. scyllarus. I've seen a number of G. chiragra individuals being sold as "peacocks".

Dan

Koshmar
05/22/2010, 10:08 PM
Ten bucks says it's a chiragra. Never feel guilt tripped/pittied into buying a mantis.

ritter6788
05/23/2010, 10:04 AM
O. scyllarus are readily identifiable as such right off the bat. There is no mistaking them at all. If you have doubts, it's probably not O. scyllarus. I've seen a number of G. chiragra individuals being sold as "peacocks".

Dan

:thumbsup: I learned the hard way. Live Aquaria sold me a chiragra and was clearly marked as a peacock, scientific name and all.

lionbacker54
05/23/2010, 10:26 AM
Ten bucks says it's a chiragra. Never feel guilt tripped/pittied into buying a mantis.

what he said

ladyshark
05/23/2010, 11:04 AM
Yup, after reviewing Roy's list and pics of chiragra's, I can't take that 10 dollar bet.

Roy's list indicates that chiragra's are not interactive, so I am certain I would be disappointed after having my peacock come to the glass to say hi to me everytime I came by, may he RIP

This LFS is a private one-site store that I peruse frequently, but now I am disgusted with them--they could at least give the little guy a small rock to hide behind and still show/sell him....oh well, you all know....

Thanks so much for the responses