PDA

View Full Version : My niger trigger jumped out!!

Chronotrigger
05/23/2010, 12:15 AM
I just bought a niger trigger and acclimated him slowly in the tank. I read they could be shy and hide initially, but he seemed fine and swam about freely. I even fed him some brine shrimp which he happily ate. Well I go to take a shower, I come out and he's nowhere to be found. I hear a flopping sound behind the aquarium and he's there. I manage to get him and put him back in. He was full of dust. He swam to and sat on a rock for a little bit, but was still breathing. Now he's further back in the tank where I can barely see him, but he's not swimming around as before just still. I turned off the lights so he could rest, but what are the chances of him surviving? So he could have been out there anywhere from 2-30 minutes... :(

brookers
05/23/2010, 12:58 AM
they are quite tough nigers, if he was still alive when you put him back in chances are he will be ok. probally be back to normal in a few hours.

i had mine out of water for 10-15 mins once when i changed my rocks around and didnt realise he was wedged in a hole in the live rock, he was fine !

LukFox
05/23/2010, 01:03 PM
It depends on how he fell I think. If he didn't suffer any internal damage in the fall I think he could end up recovering. You'll know within a day or two probably. Will you be getting a top of some sort to prevent this in the future?

Wolverine
05/23/2010, 06:04 PM
They can usually recover from that. As mentioned, you'll know soon enough, and there's not much you can do in the meantime.

perfect_prefect
05/23/2010, 07:15 PM
if you keep fish and dont have a top on your tank its not a question of if they will jump out its a question of when it will happen. if he doesnt make it (dont flame me im not insensitive) atleast it didnt happen 5 years down the road once you had become really attached to him. hoping for the best for you and i hope you pick up a top pronto. local hardware store or home depot should have thin sheets of acrylic for cheap. easily cut down to make tops if you dont have lights that have to sit on them. work well under hoods and especially well on tanks that have a center strap.

edit: also cuts down on evaporation

ashtree68
05/23/2010, 07:17 PM
Also can get some really easy to put together screen for under 20$. Hope he makes it.

ladyshark
05/23/2010, 10:19 PM
Cutting egg crate to fit the top works great too and very, very easy. Have to deal with evaporation, although you already have that with no cover.

LisaD
05/23/2010, 10:55 PM
I didn't think triggers would jump, and learned the hard way, they do.

I lost a baby niger trigger I'd been growing out in a 55. It had gained a couple inches the first year. I was so sad to find it on the floor.

So yes, cover the top!

Chronotrigger
05/24/2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the tips everyone. I Will definitely be getting a top cover. An update though: yesterday morning I woke up and he was on his side in between a rock, his fins clamped. I thought he was dead and tried to pull him out because I didn't want him contaminating the tank. When I removed the rock he came out and was still alive. He swam slowly away, but I haven't seen the little fella since. I really hope he bounces back.

ladyshark
05/24/2010, 11:38 PM
We are rooting for him. Please let us know. I was wondering

Chronotrigger
05/25/2010, 11:24 AM
We are rooting for him. Please let us know. I was wondering

To my surprise and happiness, I was feeding the fish this morning and he came out!!! He didn't eat though. His fins are still clamped and slight tattered. And there are black blotches on his sides. He's clearly a survivor, but what can I do to ensure he makes a full recovery instead of wasting away?

LukFox
05/25/2010, 01:04 PM
Sounds like he's making a slow but steady recovery. At this point the black spots may just be bruises, but a picture would help if you can. I wouldn't do anything but make sure no one is picking on him and keep the water clean. It sounds like your rockwork is providing sufficiently shaded resting areas for him.

coolingeffect
05/25/2010, 03:29 PM
mine did that about 10 years ago when it was just bigger then a fry, he was almost completely dry and looked real bad, i put him in a little breeder trap and a few hours later he was swimmin around in the trap a bit. Then about a week later he was back to normal. Had to sell that fish when i moved but the guy i sold it to still has it at about 11 inches and a reaaaaaly bad attitude.