PDA

View Full Version : Gonna start a new tank

flametail
05/23/2010, 10:14 PM
I am going to start another reef tank out of a 20 gallon tall my wife brought home today...the question is what do ya'll suggest for a light and pump/filter? I am looking to keep soft corals in it with a few fish. I'm probably gonna transfer the 2 frags I already have (an australian frogspawn and hammer) along with my new red coco worm once it was setup and cycled. I have been keeping a saltwater tank for around 1.5 years and I have nothing but time so I can get items as needed.

Any suggestions and help would be awesome! Thanks!

Flametail

Johnny C
05/24/2010, 01:48 AM
A 24'' 4-Bulb Tek Light (http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/24_inch__4x24W_Tek_Light_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply) would be more than enough to house whatever you'd like. As for filtration, some will argue that using a skimmer in a 20 gallon isn't worth the effort. I would personally use a Tunze 9002 skimmer, but if not... just get an Aquaclear HOB filter to run Carbon + GFO.

If you head over to the Nano Forum (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75) you can browse through a ton of small 'nano' tanks and get ideas. Good luck! :)

flametail
05/24/2010, 07:10 AM
I was clicking around through there last night, but just wanted some definitive advice about filtration and lighting.

Has anyone built a 20 tall before? I have never seen one until last night.

zachfishman
05/24/2010, 09:59 AM
I had a 20tall once (actually my first reef). We're talking about the 24"x12"x16" version of a 20tall right (not the 20"x10"x24" model)? It was fine with no skimmer, just a powerfilter with activated carbon (pretty sure I didn't know what a skimmer was when I first set it up). Some GFO would've been great in hindsight.

I ran it with three NO fluorescent bulbs (55watts), and that was enough to grow softies and LPS. With more light (like a 4-bulb T5) you would be able to grow most anything.

flametail
05/24/2010, 06:26 PM
Any other suggestions for a light? I would like to go with the 4 bulb T5 so I wouldn't have to worry about "can I get this because of my light" issues...also, what bulb temp would ya'll suggest?

zachfishman
05/24/2010, 06:40 PM
The T5 Q&A thread is a great place to go in search of bulb recs. Many have already asked what bulbs to buy in 'X' configuration, so your answer is probably already there.

If you plan on ordering 4 custom bulbs, Reefgeek.com sells that Tek Light without bulbs (so you're not paying for stock bulbs you won't use).

Johnny C
05/24/2010, 08:53 PM
If you plan on ordering 4 custom bulbs, Reefgeek.com sells that Tek Light without bulbs (so you're not paying for stock bulbs you won't use).
Regardless of where they are purchased, the Tek fixtures don't come with bulbs installed like some other fixtures do.

I would recommend the following bulbs (which are all available through the link I posted earlier):

From front to back: ATI Blue Plus, KZ Figi Pink, ATI Blue Plus and an ATI Aquablue Special. You'll get a nice 20K look with lots of coral 'pop'. :)

flametail
05/25/2010, 06:51 AM
I checked that site and they only have fiji purples, where's a good spot to get the pink for cheap?

Johnny C
05/25/2010, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry... I don't know why I typed that. Figi Purple is what I meant** :)

flametail
05/25/2010, 08:56 PM
lol, I was wondering about pink since all it was showing was purples

flametail
05/30/2010, 03:28 PM
well...new tank is gone...it cracked and spilled 20 gallons of water all over the bedroom floor at midnight last night, luckily it just had water in it.