PDA

View Full Version : Chiller recommendation

snowcap
05/24/2010, 08:12 AM
Setting up a 120 sps tank with two 400 watt SE metal halide lights over the set up. Is 1/4 hp sufficient for this set up?
Thanks

grigsy
05/24/2010, 08:23 PM
Most 1/4 HP chillers would be sufficient for a 120 gallon tank but if you can go one size larger that would be better. If you go larger than what you need, in my experience, it is better - the chiller isnt on all the time costing you more money and the freon doesnt burn out as quickly.

Shard
05/25/2010, 07:22 AM
I use a 1/3 HP chiller on a three tank system with a combined water volume a little larger than yours. I use MH lighting right now but my lighting is not as intense. I can't recall the last time I even heard my chiller turn on.

A lot of factors affect the amount of cooling power you need, but the above poster pretty much has it covered. It is better to go with a larger chiller than will need to be run less, than a smaller chiller that will constantly need to run.

I would imagine a 1/4HP chiller should be fine for your setup, but will say a 1/3 or larger would be better. What kind of climate do you live in?

snowcap
05/25/2010, 08:33 AM
I use a 1/3 HP chiller on a three tank system with a combined water volume a little larger than yours. I use MH lighting right now but my lighting is not as intense. I can't recall the last time I even heard my chiller turn on.

A lot of factors affect the amount of cooling power you need, but the above poster pretty much has it covered. It is better to go with a larger chiller than will need to be run less, than a smaller chiller that will constantly need to run.

I would imagine a 1/4HP chiller should be fine for your setup, but will say a 1/3 or larger would be better. What kind of climate do you live in?

Live in the Chicago area so things can get very hot and stay that way or cold. My wife likes the house kept at a meat locker temp so a chiller load may not be an issue.
Have a great day

Shard
05/25/2010, 10:46 AM
If you keep your house on meat locker temperature then you might not need a massive chiller. In your situation, you could just get the tank setup and cycling, turn on the lights, and check the temperature after a couple of hours to see what is rises to.