PDA

View Full Version : Level-Loc ATO or Autotopoff.com DS1

03sonicstang
05/24/2010, 11:58 AM
Good afternoon; I need some advise. I'm planning my ATO and I've been going back and forth with my options.

Use a Reservoir under the tank (I think 5 gallons may be the only thing I can fit) and use the Autotopoff.com Dual switch method. I would run a Line behind the tank with a manual Valve to fill the Reservoir with Fresh RO/DI water.

http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

Or run my RO/DI direct to the Level Loc system and run the Solenoid to my ACjr so the Solenoid is on for a coupe minute ever hour hours...That's three methods of redundancy....still a little leery

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/ro-di-accessories/level-loc-auto-top-off-unit-for-ro-systems.html

Thanks for your opinion

03sonicstang
05/24/2010, 11:59 AM
Oh and the tank is a 180 Gallon with a 40 gallon sump

03sonicstang
05/25/2010, 07:42 PM
So I'm leaning toward the Level Loc System; I'm a betting man and (3) things are very unlikely to fail together!!!!

Any thoughts are really appreciated!

rogerwilco357
05/26/2010, 12:01 AM
I too face the same dilemma will watch to see what answers you get if you do go the level loc way let me know how it works out for you/
Roger

Shard
05/26/2010, 12:09 AM
I personally use 1 switch connected to my controller, which runs a Tom's Aqua-lifter pump that sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket.

Exactly what are you worried about? The ATO sticking and causing a flood, the ATO not working to top-off, or both?

Personally I would go with the autotopoff.com option, since I would be cautious of connecting a limitless supply line from the RO/DI to a float valve.

I see you talk about using a solenoid to only have the line open for a limited amount of time, but why not just go with the more economical option? It appears the autotopoff.com unit will cost you less than the other. One advantage of using a reservoir system, is you can measure the amount of evaporation you are having each day. You can't do that with a direct RO/DI line.

03sonicstang
05/26/2010, 06:58 AM
Thank for the response Shard, The Level Loc at Bulk Reef Supplies has a Float Valve, then a Backup Float switch connected to an Electronic Solenoid, then I would connect the solenoid to my ACjr to let it open for about 3 minutes ever 4 hours or so...

I'm just scared to connect it direct to my RO system for the obvious reasons

Level Loc's directly connect RO systems to aquariums to automate top off and eliminate the need for large water storage containers. They feature redundant safety measures that ensure complete protection against damaging overflows. These are the only direct RO to tank auto-top off units that BulkReefSupply.com recommends. For more details please see the product description below. Level Loc Auto Features

* Comes fully assembled for quick setup
* Adjustable float valve
* Backup float switch provides redundant protection
* Eliminates space consuming water storage tank
* Automates top-off water chore
* Add a digital timer for extra protection

03sonicstang
05/26/2010, 08:32 AM
I too face the same dilemma will watch to see what answers you get if you do go the level loc way let me know how it works out for you/
Roger

Will do; thanks :)

tkeracer619
05/26/2010, 09:16 AM
I have used both. They both work well.

If you are going direct connect get the level loc. If you go with the autotopoff.com solution you will need solenoids and then a float in your sump for backup.

I use the autotopoff.com system directly connected to my ro. I have dual solenoids and a float.

Never run a ato direct without a float valve for backup.

03sonicstang
05/26/2010, 09:55 AM

If you are going direct connect get the level loc. If you go with the autotopoff.com solution you will need solenoids and then a float in your sump for backup.

I use the autotopoff.com system directly connected to my ro. I have dual solenoids and a float.

Never run a ato direct without a float valve for backup.

Thanks; I think I'm going with the Level Loc as its got the float and solenoid. All in one package.

03sonicstang
05/26/2010, 10:02 AM
But The autotop.com dual with a Solenoid and connection to the ACjr I would have (4) methods of redundancy.....options..they drive me crazy

Shard
05/26/2010, 10:35 PM
The Level Loc does seem like the better option for you now. It will save you space, and short of needing to know the amount of evaporation you are having each day there isn't really a need for the reservoir system.

I take it you can install the line from the RO somewhere it isn't visible or sticks out, and using this method, you won't have to constantly fill a reservoir. Less upkeep is better if you are taxed for time.

At some point I think the multiple redundancy becomes... well.. redundant :)

Let us know what you decide.

03sonicstang
05/27/2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks again for your response Shard. I've ordered the Level Loc system and a 75 gph Deluxe 5 stage RO/DI from Bulk Reef Supply this morning. I'll let everyone know how things turn out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

tatkins99
08/31/2010, 07:29 PM
How did it work out? I'm considering the same thing.

03sonicstang
08/31/2010, 07:46 PM
I love this accessory; it's been running for 5 weeks and the salinity is rock solid. I have it connected to my Aqua Jr and it runs three different times a day for 15 minutes each. I'm also going to get a Leak Detector from BRS for an extra level of protection. If you have any questions let me know. Tom

tatkins99
09/01/2010, 03:52 PM
Cool! I may be traveling a little so having a reliable ATO will be essential for me. I plan on hooking it up to my AC3 (when I can find a DC8 for less than $100)

Thanks!

jefathome
09/01/2010, 04:01 PM

I bought the Autotop-off unit and it never worked from day-1.

WestTexasReefer
09/01/2010, 04:14 PM
I have been using the Level Loc tied to my RO system for several months now with no issues. I have the solenoid plugged into a timer so water can only enter for 3 minutes at a time every 8 hours which has been plenty. I could probably cut back to twice a day with no issues.

LifeAquatic
09/01/2010, 06:30 PM
Tunze Osmolator... Best top Off System hands down.

cakemanPA
09/01/2010, 06:33 PM
tunze osmolator... Best top off system hands down.

^^^^^+1^^^^^

tatkins99
09/01/2010, 07:22 PM
....and MOST expensive.....

jeffreylam1132
12/13/2010, 05:51 AM
Any update on what you decide to do? I am in the process of setting up a ATO and would like some ideas.

MJinMN
12/13/2010, 08:47 AM
I have also been reading up on the new ATO by Genesis Reef Systems, and liked that they also have an auto-water change module....

oscar.millan
12/13/2010, 11:22 AM
Is the Tunze osmolator cost prohibitive? Or are you looking for additional function?

03sonicstang
12/13/2010, 12:29 PM
I've been using the Level Loc for 21 weeks. Salinity has stayed at .026 consistently. One of the best accessories I've purchased