PDA

View Full Version : "australian" corals

timdam
05/24/2010, 12:21 PM
every time i hear the words "this is an AUSTRALIAN coral", i wanna drop everything and run! b/c the word "australian" usually means that it's gonna be expensive! am i wrong about that? why is austalian stuff always so expensive?

dogstar74
05/24/2010, 02:43 PM
Australian is the new Red Sea. Red Sea is sooooo last week.

got2envy
05/24/2010, 03:02 PM
lol

most Australian corals are very colorful

RobbyVonAwesome
05/24/2010, 03:10 PM
I think one reason Australian corals are so expensive is because of the difference in standard of living in Australia versus the rest of the South Pacific, as well as the exchange rate. In Indonesia, the people have a lower standard of living, and don't get paid as much for the specimens they collect. In Australia, the people doing the collection have a much higher standard of living, and higher asking prices for their corals. It's sort of like the coffee trade (google "fair trade coffee" if you don't know about it already).

This is only my theory.

GreshamH
05/24/2010, 03:50 PM
I think one reason Australian corals are so expensive is because of the difference in standard of living in Australia versus the rest of the South Pacific, as well as the exchange rate. In Indonesia, the people have a lower standard of living, and don't get paid as much for the specimens they collect. In Australia, the people doing the collection have a much higher standard of living, and higher asking prices for their corals. It's sort of like the coffee trade (google "fair trade coffee" if you don't know about it already).

This is only my theory.

That + freight is much costlier from Australia then bali, Indo, etc. (nearly twice as much IIRC)

timdam
05/24/2010, 04:17 PM
do u think australians over there wanna drop everything and run everytime they hear "well, this is an american coral. it's gonna cost u and arm and a leg for this xenia piece".

GreshamH
05/24/2010, 04:51 PM
NO because they are not allowed to import any corals into Australia (semi bio-secure country) ;) They'd love to get some stuff from us, trust me :lol:

onepoorreefer
05/24/2010, 04:52 PM
I have seen a couple really nice pieces and the sticker shock was also there. Its the new coral on the block it will be expensive till we find the next totally awsome coral

GreshamH
05/24/2010, 05:04 PM
I have seen a couple really nice pieces and the sticker shock was also there. Its the new coral on the block it will be expensive till we find the next totally awsome coral

For reasons given above it will never be a "cheap" coral like what you'd see from Bali, Indo, etc

robs.mark
05/24/2010, 07:33 PM
Its true, we arnt allowed to import corals, fish and inverts are okay though? go figure..
To give you a rough idea of what we pay over here check out www.acroal.com.au

This guy is a small local vendor..

GreshamH
05/24/2010, 07:51 PM
And import import paperwork is extremely costly in Australia compared to the US. $1200 just for paperwork we pay $200 or so for.

I understand the why's though so I don't question it.

Not all inverts are importable either IIRC. No shrimps, right?

GreshamH
05/24/2010, 07:53 PM
http://www.acroal.com.au/products/Orange-Disc-Fungid-3%252d5cm.html

OK that is cheap :D

Rskillz
05/24/2010, 08:26 PM
While shipping, tariffs, availability, and taxes play a large role in the inflated cost of Aussie corals, I would venture to say their attractiveness and coloration are also a important factor. To me, very few corals approach the beauty of Duncan, Acan, Doughnut, and multiple types of wells/brains/lobos from Australia. They are simply stunning, and don't have many rivals when it comes to LPS.

The_Codfather
05/24/2010, 08:34 PM
Is it still Australian if it's from someone frag tank

Bontrager
05/25/2010, 06:58 AM
Because they come all the way from Australia; sorry just had to do this.

Dont Ask Me
05/25/2010, 07:25 AM
NO because they are not allowed to import any corals into Australia (semi bio-secure country) ;) They'd love to get some stuff from us, trust me :lol:

We can import loads of corals from the us, just not some particular species such as florida rics.

Dont Ask Me
05/25/2010, 07:26 AM
Ill also add our corals are prettier lol.

The Escaped Ape
05/25/2010, 07:34 AM
I'm in almost the opposite situation. When I see threads here about "deep water Japanese zoas" I wonder how they can be so readily available in the States when colorful zoas are in pretty short supply here.

zachfishman
05/25/2010, 02:12 PM
Yet another reason to go fully cultured/tank-raised (for your corals at least).