PDA

View Full Version : ID please. Coral, majano, ect? (picture)

grom
05/24/2010, 01:42 PM
need an id please

i need to know if i should kill this now

hitchhiker on new live rock

its extented a bit from rock, green, short tentacles

Sorry for poor pic but cant zoom in far through glass.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt216/grromo/DSC00028.jpg

BeanMachine
05/24/2010, 01:53 PM
Looks like a paly.

grom
05/24/2010, 01:57 PM
oops

BeanMachine
05/24/2010, 02:00 PM
palythoa, also called button polyps.

Soft coral similar to zoanthids.

At least that's what I think it is.

dcombs44
05/24/2010, 02:02 PM
Palythoa genus

It's a polyp coral. The one you have is commonly termed a green button polyp.

Same Order as zoanthids (Zoantharia) but different families.

It's recommended to handle zoanthids and palys with gloves as some contain palytoxin which is one of the most deadly toxins in the world. If you ever propagate and/or frag the corals, be sure to wear gloves and safety glasses. Poisoning is rare, but it has been documented and can rank from painful to deadly.

:)

RobbyVonAwesome
05/24/2010, 02:38 PM
Palythoa genus

It's a polyp coral. The one you have is commonly termed a green button polyp.

Same Order as zoanthids (Zoantharia) but different families.

It's recommended to handle zoanthids and palys with gloves as some contain palytoxin which is one of the most deadly toxins in the world. If you ever propagate and/or frag the corals, be sure to wear gloves and safety glasses. Poisoning is rare, but it has been documented and can rank from painful to deadly.

+1. You took the words right out of my mouth, but I couldn't have said it any better.

dcombs44
05/24/2010, 03:26 PM
Yep.....as a side note, I've read that yellow buttons have one of the higher concentrations of palytoxin.

Getting ready to set up a zoa/paly tank, so I've been doing a fair amount of reading.

I've had various zoa species before, but trying to buff up my knowledge base for this build as far as different species, availability, color morphs, etc.

Some of them are so expensive, unfortunately, the green buttons are all too common and pretty inexpensive. Awesome as a hitchhiker though!!! I had a colony of green buttons for over 5 years. Gave them away when I moved and tore my last tank down.