PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer: wattage and pump flow question on 90g

sempsis101
05/25/2010, 12:39 PM
Hey everyone (my first post so please don't flame),

I am looking into getting a uv sterilzer for my 90g reef aquarium (I know many of you are for and against UV sterilzers, but I have decided I want one). I am running a Poseidon PS4 (1225 GPH) on my return with about 4ft of clearance, and would like to a run a UV sterilzer in-line with this setup. I also have a JBJ chiller running off a 400gph internal pump that I can use as well. Iv'e read tons of posts but I am in need of a little advice.

1) I was figuring I would need a 30-40 watt sterilizer?

2) should I T off of the main pump or run it in serial?

Any recommendations would be more than appreciated on brand, wattage size, and plumbing.

Thanks,
Rob

Squint
05/25/2010, 02:25 PM
Emperor Aquatics and AquaUltraviolet are the higher quality manufacturers. EA's wattage/flowrate/tank size recommendations are probably the most honest in the industry.

Avoid the cheap ones and also Rainbow Lifegard. I have one and after some use I found a lot of the insides had been destroyed by the UV. Their housings aren't UV-resistant so they sell replacement sleeves and standpipes.

I would just plumb it whichever way is easiest for you. In series is fine because a higher flowrate means more turnover since it's a recirculating system. Within reason, the time-dose reciprocity law will apply so lots of shorter exposures or fewer longer exposures will both work as long as you have enough watts for your tank size. I have a 25W on my 75 gal and a 57W on my 125 gal.

In the long term, the main cost will be replacement bulbs. In my case, the 25W bulb is like 10% more than the 15W bulb so I got more watts per dollar upsizing to the 25W.

sempsis101
05/25/2010, 05:29 PM
TY squint, I appreciate your advise.

Rob