PDA

View Full Version : vodka dosing, possible calculation error, need help pronto!

swabe3618
05/25/2010, 03:10 PM
Hello, i attemped to dose vodka for the first time last night and within 24 hours of doing so i have noticed my corals have lost their coral and look dull....but most importantly my hollywood stunner chalice has taken the most drastic change. The edges that where once a nice purple have turned white in less than 24 hours. I dosed .03 ml last night after the lights went off. However i also noticed that the red film/algae on my glass has vanished, again over night. The copepods (sp) are running rampid on my glass like i never seen before. I have decided to stop further dosing for right now until i seek some advice.

I am new to the world of corals and keeping them. I have had a saltwater tank for about two years but only have i had the lights and coral for the past two so im expected mistakes to be made. Here is some important info and any suggestions, tips and advice would be great.

75 gallon display
20 gallon sump (holding about 15 gallons of water)
60lbs live rock
NO SAND

Temp 79
Calcium 420
Phosphate .25
Nitrate 20
Alk 180ish
PH 8.0

My skimmer is a ASM G2 and i am a heavy skimmer, i get a full cup of junk every two days. Besides stopping all dosing what else can i do to try and rectify the problem? Should i suspend the lighting cycle for a day to help my corals recover?

swabe3618
05/25/2010, 03:11 PM
I should also ad my livestock is doing find and does not seem to be stressed at all. Also one of my polyps on my zoos has died over night. And several others are not looking too good

dg3147
05/25/2010, 03:14 PM
I just started dosing 3 days ago with the same amount with no problems. I have a similar set-up and size tank. My tank is about 9 months old.

Your vodka dose sounds right; though, we may have different bacterial established bacterial populations. Are you sure you measured the 0.3mL correctly? It's a very small amount --about 3 drops.

The more experienced "dosers" may have some useful input.

hershell
05/25/2010, 03:22 PM
I think I would be doing a water change to try to get things back in order.

swabe3618
05/26/2010, 04:56 AM
using a pipette that i have, two drops measure out to be .01 ml so i placed 6 drops into the tank. I found out last night that one of my turbo snails knocked loose my digitata frag and it landed on the outer rim of my chalice which is why i think it turned white and not so much from the vodka. I did not know about it until my roommate informed me that she moved the coral off the other one that morning. I stopped dosing and i am doing some water changes now.

iap
05/26/2010, 08:31 PM
"The starting dosage is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons"

just for my sake of mind as I'm going to start dosing. It is 0.1ml of vodka measured with a syringe and not .01 ml as you are typing. Correct?