PDA

View Full Version : GFO Reactor Questions

DustinB
05/25/2010, 03:33 PM
So I've been reading about phosphate reduction and naturally started reading up on GFO reactors. I ordered an RO/DI system today so I went ahead and added a GFO and some GFO media onto the order, this was from bulkreefsupply btw.

I keep seeing people talking about pH/Alk problems and starting with certain doses. This has me wondering what I am going to need to do to get this working properly.

How does GFO affect the pH/Alk? Do I have to do something to counter this ie: additives etc...? Is there a recommended dose to start with? Any other problems I may encounter? I'd like to know what to research further to prepare for setting this thing up when it gets here friday.

The tank is a 90 gallon with a 20g long sump. Probably about 90-100 actual gallons after rock etc... The reactor is the basic single chamber reactor from bulk reef supply, 1 pound jug of gfo media(granulated, not pellets). I will be using the recommended maxi-jet 1200.

Thanks

outy
05/25/2010, 05:04 PM
thats to much flow probably, I use about 1/4 of the reactor full and leave it in there a month and swap out. your amount will depend on your bio load.

you only want a trickle flowing through the reactor, i just put T in my main feed line above my pump in the sump to power the reactor.

just stay on top of your testing, you may find alk drop slightly at first. I dont notice any changes now.

mr.maroonsalty
05/25/2010, 05:32 PM
MJ1200 is perfect with about 3' of head; they're not electrical busters so just dial it back; I'm not sure if the brs Rx comes with a valve or not, but what you want is a gentle simmer. Start with maximum 1/2 recommended amount; BRS has instructions at their website. As per replacing, the absolute best way is to have a low range PO4 test kit, as the media can easily become saturated in only a few days, or it can last months. That said, I replace mine the first week of every month along with gac in another Rx unless I feel the need to refresh sooner. A low range PO4 meter is on my next drygoods order. One more note, gfo is a wee bit spendy, and for pennies it can be regenerated; a quick search "regenerating gfo," yields all the ins and outs.

DustinB
05/25/2010, 06:07 PM
Great info, thanks.

Anything else on pH and alkalinity to expect or watch out for? I really don't want to nuke my tank as I just got a fair number of corals in there.

mr.maroonsalty
05/25/2010, 07:25 PM
Search the chem forum; there have been some Alk issues. That is the reason for starting out with no more than 1/2 the recommended amount. If you are concerned start at 1/4 amount and work up from there. When I started I used 1/2 dose, added another half dose on top of the used material after two weeks to bring the total amount up to 1/2 cup per 32g, then after 2 more weeks switched out the full 1/2 c. I've never gone to the 2 tbsp per 4g amount.

mcoomer
05/25/2010, 08:40 PM
As maroonsalty says, start with about half or less of the recommended level. I still don't use a full dose of GFO, preferring to use less and change it more often. Works for me. BTW...I used to use the high capacity GFO now I use the regular pellets and I can't see a difference. Don't be afraid to run the cheap stuff in your reactor.

Mike