PDA

View Full Version : Possum Wrasse

fatrip
05/26/2010, 12:12 PM
Hey guys any one have any experience with the possum wrasse, Wetmorella nigropinnata? I was wondering if they would eat say a shrimp the size of a harlequin shrimp or larger? From seeing them I dont they could or would even try but though i would ask before getting him and he goes on a rampage with my inverts. thanks

Sugar Magnolia
05/26/2010, 12:28 PM
Everything I've come across say they are a reef safe wrasse. Pretty little fish too, but very reclusive. http://www.frozenocean.org/fish-f15/fish-of-the-week-t1363.htm

fatrip
05/26/2010, 12:55 PM
cool yea i don't have that much rock to hide in so he should be out in site a bit...lol...

gkaquatic
05/26/2010, 04:09 PM
Have had a possum wrasse at the store I work at (aquatic technology) for almost 2 years now and it’s a very peaceful fish. I would think you have no problem with shrimp. Not sure if u said but how big of a tank to u want to put one in.

fatrip
05/26/2010, 09:41 PM
cool, it'll be going into a 20L. I see your avatar is the shrimps i would like to be getting, Do you have a pair? if so how easy are they to keep, I know they only eat certain starfish but other than that any other special care? I haven't really seen anything else that is specially in a tank for them other than there food just wondering if you had any in site or experiences that i could learn from.

gkaquatic
05/27/2010, 07:49 PM
Yes I had a pair for a year and lost the male I kept the female for 3 years until she died of old age. I have a small male know and I'm looking for a small female to pair with him. As for care stars are the only thing they eat ( not serpent or bristle stars) . I wouldn't have any other shrimp in the tank ( for that small of a tank) and large hermit crabs are a no also! This is all because harlequins have light to no defense. Those large claws are called defensive claws but they use them move as detourent like to scare or push away. If u have any more questions pm me or I post a tone on the harlequin thread under the invert section. Harlequins are kindof my thing and I've read a butch on them and one day want to try breeding, no one has had any luck yet!