PDA

View Full Version : Custom 100 gallon build

jon1985
05/27/2010, 10:48 AM
So I have been 'out' of the hobby for almost 6 months (no tank since christmas). I was at a fellow reefers house and he had a 50 gallon long tank and I liked the shape, but wanted something bigger. So today I placed an order for a custom made acrylic tank. It will be 40"x24"x24", roughly 100 gallons.

What I plan to keep in it keeps changing, started as just nems and gold strip maroon clowns, then added YWG and pistol shrimp, then a pair of YWG and pistol shrimp, then an island to keep the nems on and coral around the sides. Now I dont know what I want. The more research I do into fish the more fish I want. I will be running a vertext skimmer rated for 260 gallons, with a 40 gallon sump, so I am going to run out of swimming space before I over polute the water.

As great as a stock list is, it never remains the same so Im not to worried about it as long as I get the few specific fish I want.

What has me tied up right now is how to run the overflow. I dont want to have an overflow box for visual reasons. What ever I do I want it to be easy to hide.

What I was thinking is have 2 overflows that would be 10" in from each end and 12" off the bottom. The pipe would extend to just below the surface of the water. The return, I still havent decided on. I have a nice big pump to use, 1600 GPH so I would like to use it as strong as possible to reduce the number of power heads in the tank. I was thinking I might put this right in the middle of the back and put a directions hose on it.

Any ideas??

There are a few things I want to try and avoid/prevent
1-overflows from the overflows getting plugged
2-noise from the over flows, toilet flushing sound
3-space consumption in the tank.

I will post pictures of the location soon and the tank and stand when I get it.

jon1985
06/03/2010, 09:29 AM
tank should be in friday. Now to figure out the over flows. If I have 1 layer of light diffuser how much will that affect light penetration? more or less then 1 layer of window screen?

jon1985
06/07/2010, 06:13 AM
picked the tank up on friday and it looks great. I cant beleive how much lighter acrylic is than glass, I much prefered carrying it up my stairs over a glass tank.

Also picked up the lights, tek 36" 6 bulb HO T5.

Hope to get the stand made tonight so I can get working on the plumbing.

jon1985
06/10/2010, 09:09 AM
Stand completed, light supports made. Need to return the light fixture due to shipping damage that we didnt see in the store.
I should have my skimmer and return pump this weekend so I can finish my sump and plumbing.

Then I can start scaping and making water.

I will try to post pictures tonight.