PDA

View Full Version : New tank!

SilurianBlue
05/27/2010, 06:49 PM
I have a 75 Gallon uni-quarium currently cycling some live rock.
I'm interested in doing a soft coral tank and I'd like some suggestions on some of the easier to keep types.

Maybe just a few kinds of coral and some information
(lighting/water requirements etc)

Much appreciated!

rxonco
05/27/2010, 07:01 PM
Softies are great to start out with. Stuff like mushrooms, green star polyps, zoanthids, rics, and leathers. Good thing about them, is they're pretty forgiving as far as water quality goes. As far as lighting, you can easily get away with power compact lighting. You can also go with VHO, T5's, MH, or LED's. You're pretty open. With softies, it's more of a personal preference. Each has their own benefits. PCs are cheaper...T5's will allow you to keep almost anything and they allow more options as far as color goes. MH gives you that shimmer, provides great light, but can add a good deal of heat. LED's seem to be doing well in the hobby, however, their cost keeps many from using them thus far.

SilurianBlue
05/27/2010, 07:12 PM
I have currently 2 T5s on it, one blue actinic and a 10,000k white. Is that enough for anything? And also what kind of fish should I keep away from soft corals?

rxonco
05/27/2010, 07:19 PM
You can get away with that if they're high output with individual reflectors. If I were you, I'd add another two and you'll see a lot more growth.
As far as fish, I'd just say to look around and see what catches your eye. Then do a little research on it to find out if it works with what you have or plan to have. For the most part, a vast majority of fish found in the hobby are pretty safe when it comes to softies.

SilurianBlue
05/27/2010, 07:29 PM
Yes they are the AquaticLife lights with individual reflectors.
And I've always really like lionfish, and/ or snowflake morays. I know the lionfish should be alright, but I dont know much about the snowflake's compatability.

And thanks a lot for your help!

rxonco
05/27/2010, 07:35 PM
Lionfish are ok reefwise. They can take to eating any other fish or shrimp you may have in the tank though. The snowflake is pretty cool but has a pretty bad habit of climbing out of tanks. You'll wake up and find it on your living room floor. You'd need a screened top to keep it in.