PDA

View Full Version : Halide Lamps at right height

mujtba
05/28/2010, 07:42 AM
Hi!

I have a 150G size tank. It is about 6 foot long and 31 inches tall.

I have two 250w single ended halide lamps in my canopy. My lights are about 12 inches above the water surface.

So from the very bottom of the tank to the light, it is about 40+ inches.

Is the light good enough to penetrate to the bottom of the tank?

I don't see the growth Id like in my corals, but is it my water conditions or the lighting being so far up?

I was going to buy the phoenix single ended 250w lamp, and I saw this:
"This bulb is offered at an excellent price and is a great choice for reef tanks up to 24" deep. "

So which lamps are good for me if not the phoenix?

ERICinFL
05/28/2010, 07:53 AM
Your 150 is 27in. tall, I have one sitting in my garage. :D My current tank is 30in. tall and I have two, 250watt SEs (Plusrite 20ks) over mine, at about the same height as yours. All my corals have great color and grow well. I have SPS, LPS and softies. My SPS are at various heights in the tank, depending on lighting requirements. You should be fine, just move your corals around until they are in a "happy place". lol

As far as bulbs are concerned, you'll get a hundred different opinions. It's all going to come down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. I got tired of spending $50+ dollars on a bulb for name brands, so I tried the Plusrites at $15 a bulb. I couldn't be happier with them. Phoenix is a well known and respected brand, so give them a try. Look at other peoples tanks (in person) and inquire about what bulbs/ballasts they use. What looks good to your buddy, might not look good to you.

If your corals aren't growing how you'd like, there are many factors that come in to play. You need to make sure your Alk, Calc and Mag levels are good and your nutrients are low to zero. If you don't have enough flow, that could be an issue too.

mujtba
05/28/2010, 08:08 AM
How do you feel abou the REEFLUX 20K?

Would plusrite work with electronic ballast? Most ballasts?

asmodeus
05/28/2010, 08:44 AM
I am currently running the 20 K reef flux i hate them i bought them for the blue they are the same as the 12K reef flux

mujtba
05/28/2010, 08:48 AM
What has a lot of blue for color, but still high PAR for growth?

ERICinFL
05/28/2010, 12:30 PM
I've never used Reflux bulbs, so I can't give you an honest answer. Here are a list of the SE bulbs I've used and how I liked them. All of them were run on EVC, 250watt electronic ballasts.

I'll use a 1-10 scale.

EVC 10k: "6" Nice white light, with a hint of yellow. Good growth, moderate coloration.
EVC 14k: "7" Crisp blue/white light. Good growth and coloration.
Hamilton 14k: "7" Pretty much the same as the EVC 14k, but the blue was a bit deeper.
Ushio 14k: "5" For the money, I was expecting great things. Not as blue as the above 14ks and growth was okay.
Phoenix 14k: "6" Nice blue/white light. Good coloration, moderate growth.
Plusrite 20k: "8" Crisp, deep blue light with a hint of white. Great color, good growth.

mujtba
06/01/2010, 07:14 AM
What is EVC bulbs?

Someone said their plusrite exploded in their frag tank and killed all frags... !!!

I dont want my corals dying by an explosion.

MR HONDA
06/01/2010, 07:37 AM
ebay..

smariner
06/07/2010, 10:55 AM
What is EVC bulbs?

Someone said their plusrite exploded in their frag tank and killed all frags... !!!

I dont want my corals dying by an explosion.

EVC bulbs are a brand of metal halide lamps. They have very high PAR ratings and many people here on RC are running them and have had great results in both growth and coloration of their corals.

Hope this helps,
Chad D. Bryant

mujtba
07/13/2010, 08:01 AM
could anyone tell me where i can get plusrite 20k from? i have electronic ballast 250w