PDA

View Full Version : Missing fish

Prince916
05/29/2010, 11:46 PM
If a fish is missing in your tank and cant find it inside or outside the tank, do you guys brake your whole system apart or just leave it?

llebcire
05/29/2010, 11:55 PM
That's too bad that you lost a fish!

I've lost smaller fish, i.e. clowns and chromis, and left the cleanup crew take care of them if I couldn't find them.

If the tank is established & healthy, there shouldn't be much of an ill effect. Obviously the effect in an 8g system is more significant than in a larger environment.

I believe that I've lost fish that jumped and were consumed by my dogs before I noticed them missing so I'm not sure I could have found them by tearing the tank apart.

As with anything, you'll need to monitor the tank for several days to ensure there aren't any spikes.

What did you lose and how large is the system?

-Eric

DEXNC
05/30/2010, 07:29 AM
check your overflow, monitor for a couple days, unless you have a small setup, i would leave things alone. just not worth the headache, if the fish is alive and in the tank it will enentually come out.

gmatt
05/30/2010, 07:34 AM
I lost two fish that started looking haggard before they disappeared completely. Then i caught him on the third fish. I found the source was this fast moving red eyed beast. It was about an inch wide bored a hole in live rock, and would come out at night (and i assume attack sleeping fish). I never found any sign of the fish afterwords. I caught him one fourth of the way through his third fish.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=961&pictureid=5723

dscheidegger
05/30/2010, 07:37 AM
what kind of crab is that? I bought 4 emeralds and the one turned red and not green lol. I have also seen that every-once in a while they snip/pinch at the fish as they swim by.

jasonm311
05/30/2010, 09:28 AM
I never worry about the small fish that are hard to find. The cuc will take care of them. Now if I am missing something medium to large then I go looking. Usually not to hard to find the bigger ones though.

Prince916
05/30/2010, 12:03 PM
Well the fish that im missing is a lubbocks wrasse and i think its missing becuase the six line was harrassing it the moment i add the lubbocks. I have some clean up crew. I also have a super tongan nassarius snail, will they eat the dead fish?