PDA

View Full Version : odd forum posts

jchase1970
05/30/2010, 09:31 AM
Have you ever noticed that sometimes people with really high post counts, I mean 500 or more, can ask the simplest questions?

It's not a bad thing, That's why the forum is here, to ask questions. But I find it odd when I see someone with 500 posts ask something about a tank cycle or LR curing.

Seems like they have had to had read posts on these topics many times to have been around as long as they have.

Again not saying anything bad here, just something that got me thinking the other day.

Camel413
05/30/2010, 09:54 AM
I completely see your point. I have noticed some people just like to post anything. I am a lurker. I have 15 post and have been a member for over a year and a half. I visit the boards almost daily in that time. I just dont post much, I absorb lots of info.

teesquare
05/30/2010, 09:59 AM
Well, they may not be as advanced a hobbyist as you or I may assume. And - like in life - I think all of us are smart about some things...but we really make up for it in other areas!:lol2:

And - some might think that a high post count equates with experience/knowledge. I can assure you, it is not necessarily any indication of such.

T

Bayliner
05/30/2010, 10:03 AM
I got out of the hobby 5 years ago after my tank crashed. I just started up a new tank this year, So much has changed in 5 years and I havn't cycled a tank in about 9 years.

I am sure I have asked some questions that people have thought were simple......

CamG

teesquare
05/30/2010, 10:10 AM
And - it should probably occur to all of us not to be quick to judge, as the old addage goes: "There is no such thing as a dumb question".

bluestarfish
05/30/2010, 10:40 AM
It could also be due to them moving into a new field / category of aquaria. Such as someone moving from fo to reef or softies to sps. They mave have been into a certain area of the hobby for some time and know it quite well but move on to other things and need guidance

phenom5
05/30/2010, 11:04 AM
And - like in life - I think all of us are smart about some things...but we really make up for it in other areas!:lol2:

+1

There are things that I know pretty well, and other things that I don't know well at all. Ask me about SPS or LPS and I've got a pretty good deal of knowledge (at least I think so). Ask me about softies...clueless. Plus, just about every time I think I've got a pretty good handle on things, something happens in my tank that completely baffles me. On of the great parts of this hobby, no matter how much you know, or how much you think you know, there's always something that you don't.

travis32
05/30/2010, 11:59 AM
I agree that things happen that are new all the time. I see someone that says they have a 9month old tank and they are asking about adding their first fish. That surprises me sometimes, but hey, I've got a 4 month tank with only 3 fish, so who am I to talk. ;)

there's always new things, upgrades, changes in water conditions, extremely variable water chemistry, and for someone relatively new, searching using search can be very overwhelming. I've searched for many things before posting, both current posts and historical, and it's very overwhelming especially when opinions are contradictory and there's no one single best answer. Or if there is, it's buried somewhere on page 75 of 886.....

cpl40475
05/30/2010, 12:29 PM
Sometimes its more of a re assurance than anything also. My tank crashed 4 years ago due to an AC unit in my house going out. If i started my new tank today I'd have a million questions about is this still the way its done or what has changed. Only thing certain in this hobby is something new or a better design/way will pop up.

jchase1970
05/30/2010, 01:26 PM
again, not judging, just observing. Wondered if anyone else noticed this to. No dumb questions, and I try to be as helpful as possible.

cewoodall3
05/30/2010, 03:23 PM
And - it should probably occur to all of us not to be quick to judge, as the old addage goes: "There is no such thing as a dumb question".

. . . Just inquisitive idiots, at least thats what the poster in my office says.

I think a lot of people with high post counts spend a lot more time on boards than they do trying to figure tank stuff out and look it up.