PDA

View Full Version : Are these bristleworms?

gte539f
05/30/2010, 08:23 PM
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/gte539f/IMG_2891.jpg
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad358/gte539f/IMG_2890.jpg

If they are bristleworms they are reef safe? All I have are some zoa frags.

LukFox
05/30/2010, 08:25 PM
Yep, throw them in.

noobtothereef
05/30/2010, 08:30 PM
Yep, throw them in.

.......the toilet.....the last thing you want to do is be reaching into your tank and grab a rock with one of these guys on the bottom......the bigger they are the worse the sting......i hate bristleworms....some like them and think they are good for as a cleanup cre, but theres much better things to use for that then these stupid worms.........get some snails, crabs, stars etc...... nothing worse than a beautifull tank with hundreds of these running around......thats just my .02 cents

gte539f
05/30/2010, 08:31 PM
These were left over from dipping a piece of LR, hope there are others left in the tank =P

Rich D
05/30/2010, 08:36 PM
yup bristle worms, although creepy they are usually detrivores and are beneficial for any reef aquarium. id keep em... although scary when they pop out of a rock they are a part of the natural reef.

watch the tank at nightime sometime with a flashlight or with moonlights and see if you can see them in action, pretty cool creatures come out at night.

LukFox
05/30/2010, 08:40 PM
.......the toilet.....the last thing you want to do is be reaching into your tank and grab a rock with one of these guys on the bottom......the bigger they are the worse the sting......i hate bristleworms....some like them and think they are good for as a cleanup cre, but theres much better things to use for that then these stupid worms.........get some snails, crabs, stars etc...... nothing worse than a beautifull tank with hundreds of these running around......thats just my .02 cents

No reason to be afraid of a little worm lol. I get hairs in me from time to time and it's no big deal. I love them, and believe they serve a good purpose in a saltwater aquarium. You shouldn't have hundreds visible unless you're putting in way more food than your fish and coral are actually eating.

ehren78
05/30/2010, 08:45 PM
I don't think my reef would be as successfull without the bristleworms.

noahm
05/30/2010, 09:04 PM
Gloves. It's that easy. For lots of reasons other than bristleworms.

mndfreeze
05/31/2010, 12:21 AM
Bristleworms are down right awesome for tank health. They get in places and get levels of detrius most normal clean up crews (snails, hermits) can't get to.

It does suck to get nailed by one though, but honesly, in salt water, TONS of shizzle stings and stabs and cuts so dumping bristles for that reason alone is kinda silly. I get stung by hydroids more then anything else, the little bastids.

InsaneClownFish
05/31/2010, 12:28 AM
I grow bristles in my fuge...+1 for beneficial.

jchase1970
05/31/2010, 10:53 AM
keep the worms, a sign of a healthy tank, great for clean up. You will only have as many as you have food to feed, so if you don't over feed you wont see many. Some people are really turned off by them because they are worms.

Don't be a wormaphobe ,lol :)

ROB2005
05/31/2010, 12:06 PM
Bristleworm= extra filtration :D

resowner92
05/31/2010, 12:12 PM
Bristleworms are down right awesome for tank health. They get in places and get levels of detrius most normal clean up crews (snails, hermits) can't get to.

It does suck to get nailed by one though, but honesly, in salt water, TONS of shizzle stings and stabs and cuts so dumping bristles for that reason alone is kinda silly. I get stung by hydroids more then anything else, the little bastids.

x2 on this, just wear some gloves if you are scared