PDA

View Full Version : Ca spike, Alk steady

strandeviper
05/31/2010, 02:36 PM
I have been out of the reef aquarium for 5 years and getting back into it.. I'm cycling my aquarium and I'm getting extremely high Calcium test readings, but my alk is staying consistant. Is it just my test is bad, or is something going wrong?

Allmost
05/31/2010, 02:41 PM
what salt mix did you use ?

is CA increasing or just high ?

ocd_mariner
05/31/2010, 02:57 PM
What are the numbers, exactly?

When you say it spiked, it went from (for example) X one day up to Y the next day? Or just one test is reading high CA?

strandeviper
05/31/2010, 03:29 PM
the calcium is increasing, according to the test.. approx 40 ppm every day.. im sitting at 620 ppm.. but my alk is at 11-12dkh

Allmost
05/31/2010, 03:34 PM
the calcium is increasing, according to the test.. approx 40 ppm every day.. im sitting at 620 ppm.. but my alk is at 11-12dkh
what is the salt mix you use ? IO ?

what is the PH ?

I would say its testing Issues. how old is the test kit ?
are you dosing anything ?

if no, then it could be that ure PH is so low that the calcium in rocks and sand are being released, but thats some sci-fi reefing lol

strandeviper
05/31/2010, 03:44 PM
I used Coralife salt mix. My PH is staying consistantly at 8.0 As far as the testing kit itself, i dont know how it is. I got it at the local pet store about 5 weeks ago. Im not dosing anything at the moment I was thinking it could be the test kit just because the calcium level is so high..

makoslo
05/31/2010, 04:32 PM
What brand test kit are you using? Is anything being added to the tank that might increase Ca?

If you are just cycling the tank, I'm assuming you don't have any corals in the tank yet?

What SG are you running? 1.026? What is your Mg level?

Honestly 620ppm seems awfully high and I'd think Ca would start precipitating out at that level. Any build up on your heaters or pumps?

More info on the tank please... size? how long has it been setup? equipment?

strandeviper
05/31/2010, 04:40 PM
I'm using API test kits. I do have a calcium block in the sump.. but its on a slow release. I am just cycling the tank, no fish, no corals. Im running just under 1.026 sg.
The tank has only been up for a week. I dont have any build up on my pump or heater. the tank is 150 gal tank, i have asm g3 skimmer running, some cured rock in the sump with some clurpa. Mg?