PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting Spionid worms

ladyshark
05/31/2010, 05:52 PM
Did a search and discovered that the clear filaments coming out of v. small tubes in my sand are likely to be spionid worms. I am delighted!

There are tons of them in my 125 gal FO tank which has about a two inch sand bed. They seem to grow like wildfire, and even after I vacumn the top of the sand bed, they are back again in a day or two.

I would like to transplant some into my 75 gal, which until recently housed a peacock mantis and LR. Because of the mantis, I have not had much longevity with a cuc of any kind, if you know what I mean.

These worms should help--however, the sand level in my 75 g is only about a half inch or so.

1--do I need to put more sand in before transplanting some of these worms? If so, how much, and should I simply add a layer, or add the sand and mix it all up a bit? I do not want a DSB.

2--I am thinking if I simply scoop up some of the sand in the 125 that is populated with water into a plastic bag, then acclimate to the new tank like I would any other addition to the tank, then place the new sand in a pile in the corner of the tank out of direct flow, that the worms should do OK.

3--The nitrates in my 125 g are near zero (wet dry filter), while they are around 20 in the 75 g (canister filter only). How sensitive to nitrates are these little worms?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Vegas.
05/31/2010, 08:08 PM
Spionid worms are very hardy just try to kill them, you won't have much luck. I just upgraded and transfered my sandbed just for them they are great! I have about a 1" bed and they like the fine grade substrate. They should be fine with a 1/2" bed just place them in the corner like you said. I have never acclimated any livestock other than temp acclimation they will be fine by just tossing them in.

LeslieH
05/31/2010, 09:43 PM
Should be okay. Some of them are sensitive to oxygen levels but otherwise are pretty tough. It's a pity we're so far apart as I'd love to have a few for identification.

ladyshark
06/01/2010, 10:31 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for your thoughts