PDA

View Full Version : Spider Fittings

onebadbug
05/31/2010, 07:51 PM
Not sure what a spider fitting is? >>> CLICK ME <<< (http://www.google.com/images?q=stainless+spider+fitting&um=1&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&tbs=isch:1&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20)

Was getting ready to dive back into a tank build up and got to thinking about these connectors and got me wondering if any has ever used them. I see all kinds of all ideas from omitting bracing as well as 20 other uses like lighting and so on... you get the picture.

Anyone ever use them on a rimless or "euro" style tank?

If so whats anyone done with them? Or if you've seen anyone do something with them in a tank setup?

I've used Spider, Spar and cable canopy style sets a few times over the years for commercial glazing jobs and I know these things hold an amazing ammount of a load as well as the glass when they're attatched for the set.

Have even had to hang a dozen panels or so up 40ft off a cable dirctly onto the fitting holding a 600# panel... The first time I ever did one I cringed but ever since thwen I've never given them a second thought about losing one. The only one I've ever lost was when the tempurature plunged to -34 four months after an installation when the building contracted about 2" across a segment of a glass wall.

And thats why I kind of got thinking about if anyones ever seen them used in a tank... it has me intrigued.