PDA

View Full Version : How long can an SPS tank go without light?

b_s_c1
05/31/2010, 08:10 PM
The reason I ask this is because I just found that I have a bad ballast in my TX5. It is the ballast that controlls the three bulbs. The hole fixture is torn apart and I really don't want to put it back together until I get a new ballast and don't see the two aquablues helping on there own. I will order a new one tonight or first thing in the morning and will pay to have it shipped fast. Just wondering if I will be ok without lights for atleast 2 or 3 days.

Any opinions on the best place to order the Workhorse 7 ballast would be appreciated.

adambirk
05/31/2010, 08:23 PM
you will be ok for 3 days but i would not want to push it much past that with no lights. but you would be able to keep them a whole lot longer with the 2 bulbs just use your highest par bulbs.

tahoe61
05/31/2010, 08:33 PM
My sps went 4 days while treating a dino out break, they showed to decline after 4 days with no light at all.

plyle02
05/31/2010, 11:17 PM
I have gone 3 days with no issues at all, keep an eye on parameters as your tank will consume less alk, ca, and mag during the period of no light, may need to adjust dosing schedule or reactor depending on which you use, I would advise daily testing during this time. Otherwise, I think you will be ok and sometimes the tank can use a break from lighting, some suggest this is great for algae control as well.
GL

returnofsid
05/31/2010, 11:46 PM
Like Tahoe, I did a Lights Out treatment, for Dinos. Except I did an entire 5 days. No negative effects at all, on any SPS, clams or anemone. Everything was just fine.

mike_cmu04
05/31/2010, 11:52 PM
I would be afraid to go more than 3 days

sedor
06/01/2010, 12:04 AM
I have gone 3 days with no issues at all, keep an eye on parameters as your tank will consume less alk, ca, and mag during the period of no light, may need to adjust dosing schedule or reactor depending on which you use, I would advise daily testing during this time. Otherwise, I think you will be ok and sometimes the tank can use a break from lighting, some suggest this is great for algae control as well.
GL

I never thought about that, thanks :thumbsup:

plyle02
06/01/2010, 12:27 AM
I never thought about that, thanks :thumbsup:

My pleasure:)
No light= no photsynthesis= lack of growth= less calcification= a need for adjustements to avoid a potential rise in alk which can lead to necrosis with sps....
JME...
Glad to help:dance:

b_s_c1
06/01/2010, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.