PDA

View Full Version : Last things to add to a new tank??

Rskillz
06/01/2010, 08:47 AM
Hey guys,

So my 72 is a little over a month old, I have about 40 small frags of all easy to grow coral, and a few fish. I have 2 250w MH, and 2 VHO 110w.

All the coral is growing and very happy. The fish are super happy.

My question is, what are the last things I can add? And how long should it be before I add things like...

Nems (Really want one for my two clowns.
Clams
SPS
Starfish

etc etc.

Thanks guys!

b2d2t
06/01/2010, 10:02 AM
anemones im pretty sure you can add right away not too sure though, starfish should be added around 10months and clams i think three months

travis32
06/01/2010, 10:19 AM
I thought Urchins and Nems required well established tanks (lots of coraline and algae for it to feed on.) If so, I was told around 6 months to 1 year for both Nems and/or Urchins.

Clams, not sure on. I would think anytime the water conditions are relatively stable with a bio load.

mule31
06/01/2010, 10:40 AM
All those things need a well established tank. If you have been adding all along and your tank is only a month old you should prob wait before you add anything else. Make sure your parameters stabilize before you add anything else. A tank that is only a month old is too unstable for anything that you have listed. If you add a nem or clam and the tank conditions change you can kill it very easily. Same with a starfish that needs certain foods to survive. If I was you I would let the tank sit and establish and watch your frags grown and then think about adding a nem or clam in 6 months or so.

The nem and clam are also dependent on high light so what light you have may dictate what you can keep as well.